Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lim-10 100%

cpty1

Let me lay some groundwork.  In October of 2001, I won the Lim-10 division at the Georgia State match.  I was shooting A class Lim-10.  There were no M or GM shooters competing in Lim-10.  Around December the classifier score went in for the classifier stage that was shot at that match.  Then last month, I was given another entry from this same match which was a 100% Lim-10 entry because I won Lim-10 overall at the Georgia match.  A couple of other shooters complained to HQ because the percentage they were then given of my 100% raised them in class.  

The email response from HQ was:  "There is a problem inherent in entering score and that is to balance the desire of the competitors who want the scores entered and those who don't. It was known from the beginning that not everyone would be pleased with the decision to enter those scores; however, the decision was made to credit the shooters with the score and remove it if it caused a problem as was done in your case. Unless the other competitors contact us and request the score be

removed, we will not remove them on the belief that they want them to be part of their records."

It is my understanding that the shooter who won production division at the match, who was also A class, also received a 100% production division entry.  There were no M or GM shooters in that division either.  I was glad to get the 100%, and understand I have the option to have it removed.  I probably won't because I'm shooting to win the match in those divisions anyway.  I've yet to see a match where class awards could be given in Lim-10 or production.  On the other hand, in the right circumstances, one's classification could be raised "artifically" to a level a shooter wasn't capable of competing in.  What is everyone's thought on HQ's awarding of 100% scores to division winners regardless of class?

I have always been under the impression that USPSA wouldn't raise a person in class based on the percentage from a match unless there were enough GM and M shooters present to insure the reliability of the score. From a statistical point of view, the scores would not be reliable and shouldn't be used.

Yeah USPSA seems to be contradicting themselves. I had two good tournament level (to be used as a classifier) matches as a B not count as Limited classifiers because not enough GMs were in my division. What's different in your situation? Nothing.

I does look like there is some contradiction there.  In the past, the policy has been that a match result would not count as a classifier unless there were at least 3 GMs *who shot GM-level scores* in the match.  In other words, there has to be a certain level of quality at the top of the heap before it can be used as a valid measure of everyone else's performance.

Bruce