Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nessesary to only load to 20 with .40S&W mag conversions

chbrow10

A question for Mr. Wallgren,

Your website says to only load the big sticks to 20 until the springs take a set. I got my conversion kits today and 21 seemed to go in ok, do you still recommend to only load to 20?

Chris

You shouldn't have a problem loading to 21 right out of the gate. I think his recommendation for only 20 rounds until the spring takes a set is for the people that have weak thumbs and can't cram 21 rounds in there with a brand new spring :ph34r:

I have never had a problem getting 21 rounds in the mags with brand new springs. But then again a lot of people say that I have abnormally strong hand strength too :devil:

But then again a lot of people say that I have abnormally strong hand strength too :devil:

I hope you won't consider me rude if I remember to shake hands with you only after the match. I'm one of those people with wimpy hands. rolleyes.gif

Kidding aside, though, with the 21 rounds in there, is the reload just as easy as giving the mag momentum in the right direction? Or do you have to consciously seat the mag during a reload?

The text saying that the spring has to take a set is probably old and based on the original H-140 basepads. The new (2 years running now) are the H-141 basepads which are quite a bit bigger. I can take a brand new Grams kit with 11-coil spring and immediately load 21 rounds in it. That is... with new brass or correctly resized brass. If you are using used brass that is not resized back to factory specs or smaller may not get 21.

I reload to 21 round mags quite often and it does not require any more or special seating effort than reloading with a 20 round mag. Now reloading with a 22 round mag requires some extra effort but usually if you absolutely need to use a 22 round mag (22 round speed shoot stage starting unloaded) the extra time it takes to make sure its fully seated is a lot less than doing a reload during the stage run.