Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Become An Ffl?

I would eventually like to become an FFL and eventually open my own business. I was curious as to what is involved in becomming an FFL. I know it is no walk in the park but I know it can be done. Where would you start and how long of a process is it? I also live in Massachusetts which I'm sure isn't a plus.

Thanks,

Pete

I would eventually like to become an FFL and eventually open my own business. I was curious as to what is involved in becomming an FFL. I know it is no walk in the park but I know it can be done. Where would you start and how long of a process is it? I also live in Massachusetts which I'm sure isn't a plus.

Thanks,

Pete

I think before issuing an FFL, the BATF requires you to demonstrate a basic knowledge of firearms

• 2 weeks later...
I would eventually like to become an FFL and eventually open my own business.  I was curious as to what is involved in becomming an FFL.  I know it is no walk in the park but I know it can be done.  Where would you start and how long of a process is it?  I also live in Massachusetts which I'm sure isn't a plus.

Thanks,

Pete

Massachusetts will require that you have a place of business which is not a house in order to obtain your state dealer's license. Massachusetts specifically will not allow you to count your garage, basement, outbuilding on your property, or any other "creative" solution even if it involves a separate entrance. Also, ATF now requires your premises zoning allow a gun business, though I do not know how rigorously they check on that point.

If you think you're going to make $$ running a gun shop, think again. It can be done, but it's hard. Go to a gunshop some weekend and watch how many 4473's per hour you see get processed. Often, you'll walk away wondering how the owner can pay the overhead. That is, unless you visit a place like Four Seasons (www.fsguns.com) in MA, where you generally have to wait your turn to fill out the 4473 on a weekend because all the other clerks are busy calling in NICS checks for buyers ahead of you in line.

You'll have to contend with a product liabiltiy chain that can follow you for life on any gun you sell, and a product where many buyers are price sensitive and can easily find the prices offered by big dealers, who can often sell at the same price a small dealer must pay at a "1 per order" distributor in Shotgun News.

But, if you have a business that can double as your FFL address, and you're interested in a sideline to sell to the local shooting community on a transfer basis, go for it.

I would eventually like to become an FFL and eventually open my own business.  I was curious as to what is involved in becomming an FFL.  I know it is no walk in the park but I know it can be done.  Where would you start and how long of a process is it?  I also live in Massachusetts which I'm sure isn't a plus.

Thanks,

Pete

I think before issuing an FFL, the BATF requires you to demonstrate a basic knowledge of firearms

No they don't :)/

They should. And it should be a requirement that the lunkheads assigned to the gun counter at the sporting good store have some sort of safety course before they can work back there. Let alone a course in how to check a 4473 to make sure it is done right.

How many times have you been swept by the dimwit behind the counter? I haven't had it happen this week...but only because I haven't been in gun store this week.

Thanks Mark for the info. I wanted to get my FFL so I could mainly sell locally and online. This way I could help people I shoot with and sell them at a lower price than retail stores. The reason I was thinking the store would be great is because I'm at Four Seasons at least twice a week buying things and Carl is always super busy. And, people are buying guns and accessories. However, I've seen MANY shops where it is always empty. Proves that customer-service is a huge factor.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Mark for the info. I wanted to get my FFL so I could mainly sell locally and online. This way I could help people I shoot with and sell them at a lower price than retail stores. The reason I was thinking the store would be great is because I'm at Four Seasons at least twice a week buying things and Carl is always super busy. And, people are buying guns and accessories. However, I've seen MANY shops where it is always empty. Proves that customer-service is a huge factor.

You're going to have a tough time undercutting Four Seasons when you buy at "Quantity One" pricing. Carl is a major dealer known to a number of distributors and can no doubt do better than "shotgun news pricing" for his inventory.

I'm sure you'lll find a lot of transfer customers at the local matches if you do go through with it.