Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Or Limited-10?

EricBudd

After shooing IDPA for about a year now I have decided to try shooing some local USPSA matches to see what the game is all about. I’m just not sure what division I belong in. I shoot a traditional double action automatic in 45 ACP and have both 8 and 10 round magazines for the gun. Should I shoot in production and be scored minor or should I just shoot against the single stack 1911’s in limited-10?

I have no illusions about my skill compared to some of the local shooters, so I don’t care if my gun won’t keep up with a slicked up 1911. You could give me a nice new 1911 and I’d still lose (at least for now :lol: ). So, in the spirit of shoot-what-you-got and since I will eventually (I think) get a nice 1911, should I shoot L-10? On the other hand, should I download to 130 pf and shoot with 8 rounds with the 9mm Glocks in production?

On last question. I have changed the sights on my gun to Xpress Sights from XS Sights. Since the gun came with notch and post sights, is it still legal for production?

Thanks,

Eric

If you are shooting a double-action and already have an IDPA legal holster and gear, then you might look into shooting Production. I know I would download my rounds to Minor and see about using a lighter recoil spring (if needed).

You can...and likely would want to...use the ten round mags in USPSA Production. (USPSA Production is 10 +1, just like Limited 10)

After shooing IDPA for about a year now I have decided to try shooing some local USPSA matches to see what the game is all about. I’m just not sure what division I belong in. I shoot a traditional double action automatic in 45 ACP and have both 8 and 10 round magazines for the gun.

You don't mention exactly what you are shooting, but I can assume it's a single stack. Perhaps it's a Sig P220? Remember Ernie Langdon beat a whole slew of 1911 type .45s to win CDP at the IDPA Nationals. Perhaps you're not as handicaped as you may think.

1) My understanding is that USPSA production rules require a SQUARE notch and post type sight--the Ashley Express sights won't be allowed there!

2) Your IDPA holster and mag pouches are probably better suited to production div than to L-10.

3) .45 is definitely better suited to major PF.

4) DA/SA is better suited to production.

Yeah, that's a toss-up. Just because of (1) I say go with L-10 for a few matches. Use your 10 round mags, and wear 4 mag pouches on your belt.

DogmaDog

You can...and likely would want to...use the ten round mags in USPSA Production.  (USPSA Production is 10 +1, just like Limited 10)

But only if they are the same length as the orginal factory mags, right?

I don't think mag length is a problem (in USPSA Production). As long as the FACTORY makes a mag that fits that gun. (True, any after-market mags would have to match those FACTORY mag specifications.)

One of our members sent an email to John Amidon for his opinion...I think the gun was a SIG...wanting to use the factory 10 round mags (which stuck out of the base of the gun some). DBChaffin and I talked about the response that came back. My take is that Amidon might not have understand the situation completely (he must get tons of rules questions every week).

Looking at the rulebook...for USPSA Production...

Magazine length restrictions......NO

k) No weighted attachments allowed to magazines. (key word here for me is attachments)

There is a thread in the beginners section that talks about this...I am going to copy and paste my post there also.