Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets in 40...what's the verdic?

Adam P.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I never saw anything wrong with an empty lube groove. It seems to make no difference reloading the bullet and it reduces the contact surface area of the bullet. My only "concern" would be that if I have a choice between cast and swaged, I tend to expect the swaged to be more uniform and potentially more accurate.

However, as I said, the cast bullet with less bearing surface area may produce slightly higher velocity for the same charge weight.

I have shot lead for several decades and never noticed much smoke—then I started to shot .40 and there was a fair amount of smoke. My 9x19, 9x21, .38Super, and .45ACP lead bullets with LLA don't smoke much, but the .40S&W with 155gn LSWC and LLA sure does smoke.

My verdict is that Bayou Bullets are awsome. I am using them with my M&P 40 and all I can say is wow. Absolute tack driver since I worked up 2 loads with 2 different powders. Barrel is clean after firing several hundred rounds so far. I contacted Donnie and ordered 2k more. I think I'll stick with these bullets for a while. For those interested in the 2 loads I found, here they are:

4.3 gr of Bullseye

WSP

OAL 1.13

4.3gr of Red Dot

WSP

OAL 1.13

I know that Red Dot isn't a powder that is mentioned here a lot, but I actually found that load listed on another forum and decided to try it since I had 3 lbs of Red Dot I bought dirt cheap a few years ago. Of the 2 loads, the Bullseye load feels like a full power load and the Red Dot load is a bit softer, but still lets you know it's there. Both loads will give me a 2" - 3" group off hand at 25 yards with my M&P. I haven't run the loads through a chrony, but I am sure they will both make minor for IDPA, but I will confirm that before use in a match. These bullets don't smoke much either as far as I can tell shooting outdoors. I encourage anyone here to get with Donnie and give these bullets try. :D

• 1 month later...

Just ran the 1st 500 Bayou Bullets through my XDM40 and absolutely love the bulets. Very little smoke with W231 and will switch to WST for the next batch to see if it gets better. Accuracy was amazing; made me look like a shooter. Donnnie has a good product and great customer service. You can't go wrong here.

• 2 weeks later...