Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team Sucess

kurtb

I have been saving my pennies in the penny jar for a long time to acquire a Gold Team (My first open gun). I would prefer to get a 9mm but I am concerned about the current mag issue. Next step is to purchase the 38s model, however I recently learned that there is a magazine issue with that model and the gun (extractor) and mags will need to be modified to 38sc. That only leaves the .40 and I'm not sure I want to go down that road. I currently shoot an Elite Match (.40) and love it.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated as to which model to get. Any rumors as to any fixes for the mag issues down the road? Are there currently any success stories (outside shooterbenedetto's apparent fix) for the 9mm?

Thanks

the extractor modification is not mandatory for the gun to run on supercomp brass, but is a good insurance and only takes a few minutes with a file and a roll pin punch to accomplish. Henning has instructions on how to do it posted on his sight.

Mike

Maybe, I'm missing the core of the problem with the 9mm front/rear spacer mags. (I don't shoot open with a 9mm. I just shoot Limited/L-10 with a .40)

As I understand things, with the front spacer in place, rounds nose dive. After many complaints to Tanfoglio, their solution was to move the spacer to the rear. This moves the bullet closer to the ramp giving less chances for nose dives as the bullet is fed into the chamber. From what I've read, this fixes the problem. The new problem is that rear spacer mags are in short supply and hard to come by. (If it's not true that that the rear spacer solves the nose diving problem, please correct my assumption.)

So given that only front space mags are readily available now, something has to be done in the meantime. For people shooting .40 with the front spacer and experiencing nose diving issues (me included), one of the known solutions is to remove the front spacer (or get 10mm mags) and load with a longer OAL (about 1.165 or more).

In my naive point of view, why can't the same be done with 9mm? Why not simply remove the front spacer and load longer? I believe that 9mm can be loaded up to 1.169" OAL. I was under the impression that Tanfoglio's can handle this longer OAL because of the way the chamber and rifling are setup (unlike CZ's which like short bullets).

As I understand things, with the front spacer in place, rounds nose dive. After many complaints to Tanfoglio, their solution was to move the spacer to the rear. This moves the bullet closer to the ramp giving less chances for nose dives as the bullet is fed into the chamber. From what I've read, this fixes the problem. The new problem is that rear spacer mags are in short supply and hard to come by. (If it's not true that that the rear spacer solves the nose diving problem, please correct my assumption.)

So given that only front space mags are readily available now, something has to be done in the meantime. For people shooting .40 with the front spacer and experiencing nose diving issues (me included), one of the known solutions is to remove the front spacer (or get 10mm mags) and load with a longer OAL (about 1.165 or more).

In my naive point of view, why can't the same be done with 9mm? Why not simply remove the front spacer and load longer? I believe that 9mm can be loaded up to 1.169" OAL. I was under the impression that Tanfoglio's can handle this longer OAL because of the way the chamber and rifling are setup (unlike CZ's which like short bullets).

At first I also though it was just a spacer location issue. But the rear spacer mags are of different design, so its not just the spacer location. In the thread I started about the front spacer mag issues I mentioned that he front spacer mags are wider at the top and have a sharper transition, where the rear spacer mags are slightly narrower and have a narrower, but more gradual transition from double to single stack. This is what provides the support for the front of the rounds, keeping them from nosediving. I made my own spacers (and run them in all my mags), but this had little effect on the front spacer mags due to the poorly designed transition from double to single stack.

I also tried squeezing the mag as some have suggested, but the shape of the mag itself is just wrong, so it didn't really help much.

At first I also though it was just a spacer location issue. But the rear spacer mags are of different design, so its not just the spacer location. In the thread I started about the front spacer mag issues I mentioned that he front spacer mags are wider at the top and have a sharper transition, where the rear spacer mags are slightly narrower and have a narrower, but more gradual transition from double to single stack. This is what provides the support for the front of the rounds, keeping them from nosediving. I made my own spacers (and run them in all my mags), but this had little effect on the front spacer mags due to the poorly designed transition from double to single stack.

I also tried squeezing the mag as some have suggested, but the shape of the mag itself is just wrong, so it didn't really help much.

That said....

The 9mm Gold Team will run with more than 8-12 rounds with the new mags with the rear spacer? Anyone have any experience shooting a 9mm Gold Team with out the nose dive problem?

The 9mm Gold Team will run with more than 8-12 rounds with the new mags with the rear spacer? Anyone have any experience shooting a 9mm Gold Team with out the nose dive problem?

My 9mm Limited has been feeding 300 rounds a week flawlessly in my rear spacer (with Henning H-141 extension) magazines for over a month. I shoot Steel Challenge on Mondays and USPSA (or my own ad-hoc USPSA practice course) every weekend.

Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't the Gold Team be nearly identical to the Limited as far as feeding is concerned?

If you will be competing in limitef get .40 and contact chalee here on forum. He can make that gun run100%

if you want open, get 38 tj, if you are just having fun, go to open and get 9 mm then get my mags and conversion.

You'll be glad you are not picking up brass. Good luck.

If you will be competing in limitef get .40 and contact chalee here on forum. He can make that gun run100%

if you want open, get 38 tj, if you are just having fun, go to open and get 9 mm then get my mags and conversion.

You'll be glad you are not picking up brass. Good luck.

Are at a point now with your mag design to offer them for sale?

Cost?

"...if you are just having fun, go to open and get 9 mm "

Are you saying the 9mm Gold Team cannot be used or will not hold up as a open gun that will be often used as a serious competitor?

Edited by kurtb

My 9mm Limited has been feeding 300 rounds a week flawlessly in my rear spacer (with Henning H-141 extension) magazines for over a month. I shoot Steel Challenge on Mondays and USPSA (or my own ad-hoc USPSA practice course) every weekend.

Just curious, but what OAL do you have for your 9mm rounds?

Edited by BritinUSA

Britin,

aol for 9mm will work on 1.150 max. to be safe I do 1.145.

Kurtb,

9mm in open gold team will make major in autocomp, but dont like

how the dot meters. Hits are not so good and not consistent. I have not

tried other powders but since 9mm has a small brass case, autocomp that is flakey

and wont overfill the case is the only one I know that will make the load to major

power factor of our minimum 165.WIll have to play with more powder, but I know others will not make major since the gun has 12 popple holes! So far, in 38sc, my favorite powder is the Vit 3n38.

Meters like the sp2 powder and extremely accurate! Autocomp works well in 9mm for steel load

at 7.0g. Gun shoots nice and flat. Also good enough for local matches to practice with if you want.

sent you a PM.

Britin,

aol for 9mm will work on 1.150 max. to be safe I do 1.145.

Kurtb,

9mm in open gold team will make major in autocomp, but dont like

how the dot meters. Hits are not so good and not consistent. I have not

tried other powders but since 9mm has a small brass case, autocomp that is flakey

and wont overfill the case is the only one I know that will make the load to major

power factor of our minimum 165.WIll have to play with more powder, but I know others will not make major since the gun has 12 popple holes! So far, in 38sc, my favorite powder is the Vit 3n38.

Meters like the sp2 powder and extremely accurate! Autocomp works well in 9mm for steel load

at 7.0g. Gun shoots nice and flat. Also good enough for local matches to practice with if you want.

sent you a PM.

Try some Silhouette it will make major and it will track and shoot softer than AutoComp. Other than that you could try the soot making powder HS6. Those would be the only ones that could make major at that short OAL. I'm using RN bullets in my STI but std clark barrel because JHP's will only go to 1.140, I can get RN to 1.165 and I'm running 115gr with 8.4gr of Silhouette SPP avg is 1499fps. (with AC I was at 7.0 w/124gr RN at 172 pf).

Thanks Coco.. I will do that. what's good starting point with Hs6?

remember I have 12 popple holes..

My start load for 115gr was 8.8 and it only hit 164.9 pf so you are looking at 9.0 or more. In the 125gr JHP I was at 8.3gr. This tells you that HS6 is a little slower than Silhouette because it take more to make same velocity. These were all loaded for my shorty so they are already a bit on the hot side when compared to a full size gun. 1.160-1.170. My full size is the one with the short head space.

My old V8 Tanfo 38 Super was running 170pf with 8.8gr of HS6 behind a 125gr Zero.

Be advised HS6 is extra loud but so is a V12.

Just curious, but what OAL do you have for your 9mm rounds?

They are super short. I can't remember exactly, but something like 1.045? I'm runnin minor, so I load Xtreme 100gr RNFP with 6.6 of PowerPistol. Its getting me about 1380 FPS on average.

-Nealio