Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second match, first USPSA match

Biloxi23

Yesterday I went to a USPSA match in Poplarville, MS with the guy that gor me started on this. There were two other guys I knew there. I had a blast and did not get DQ'd, and learned a lot from the guys that were there. I was doing pretty well for an upper middle aged, overweight rookie for three stages. Then the brain farts started. I was shooting ok, but I was SLOW...... then I forget about one of the targets. I had a perfect plan for the last stage, but at teh start signal I totally forgot about the plan. Instead of moving quickly to the left, I performed (or invented) some weird combination of a duckwalk and a suffle. Oh yeah, and I shot (shot at?) the targets in a completely different sequence than my brilliant plan called for. I shot the last three cardboards and two steels ok though. What a rush. As the governator once said, "I'll be back!" Thanks to all the guys at the south Mississippi Practical Shooting Association, particularly Bill Jackson for making me feel welcome. And a special thanks to Gerwin Henn (again) for nagging me into trying this sport, and sor all of his insight.

[snip] I had a perfect plan for the last stage, but at teh start signal I totally forgot about the plan. Instead of moving quickly to the left, I performed (or invented) some weird combination of a duckwalk and a suffle. [/snip]

You know? Of all the things you think you have to practice and prepare for like dry fire, picking gun up from table, reloads, etc you'd think that you'd be ok with the walking and running. I guess it's all part of the multi-tasking you're asking your body to do. In a few of my range sessions I've started practicing walking while engaging targets and reloading. No running yet. Not until the walking feels comfortable. Glad you had fun.

-Will