Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Skill - "slide Lock" Load Times

dirtypool40

Guys,

SSC or USPSA Production or IDPA gear, sans ninja vest. NOT from concealement.

Ten yards, IDPA target. Hands relaxed. Loaded chamber, EMPTY magazine.

Draw and fire one round, make a slide lock / emergency reload and fire one more round. Both have to be "down zero" or "As" to count.

I only hit a couple the other day testing a new load, getting ready for the IDPA State match. My times ran around 1.25 draw and 2.2 reload. I'll call it a 3.5 par time.

I am going to hit some more today and get a better sampling.

What are you guys hitting this drill in???

I do this with a steel target. To practice the reload I've found it better to isolate and focus on just the reload by starting with an empty magazine, slide locked back. With a good, aimed A zone hit if I can get under 2.0 I'm there. My IDPA gun has a welded Ed Brown magwell which isn't really opened up a lot. So I have to hit it just right. Call me a masochist.

• 2 weeks later...

let me get this strait you ask reload time, b ut you really want Draw 1 reload 1 time? ????

I'm not sure what my draw AND reload time from IDPA/Production rig is. but it's all i shoot.

Slide lock time with glock 17/22 is about 1.3 ish reliably usually a tad under.

the norm is a 1.19 (wierd i know but that's the time i often see on the timer.

at 10 yards my draws are pretty reliable between 1.0 and 1.1

shot with a glock 17 or 22 or from a kytac super hooper holster. and kytac mag pouches.

My best slide lock reloads hover in the 1.32 range at 7 yards. I can consistantly hit them in the 1.5 range and under at 7 yards in practice. That is SSP IDPA legal gear and a G34 with no Concealment. And that is knowing it's coming doing a draw-shoot-reload-shoot dril. My draws at 7 yds are in the .98 range - as low as .89 and as high as 1.1. I need to do this drill more at 10 yards and back.

I'd really like to know how to get my reloads down lower than that though. Tips anyone? I assume just more dryfire and maybe a video camera to see where I'm losing time.

Howard

Tips for reloads. break them down into sections. (hand to mag, draw mag from holder. strait into mag well) camera for extra motion, and always look the mag in. also see if your pausing any times you don't need to. like i've been in "outer space" instead of snapping the gun back to the target. i can and have done sub 1 second loads (not slide lock) with my glock.. however if you have the right glock the slide goes down on a full mag ;-) but that fast isn't real consistant. i think in the 1.5 range consistantly is enough to win about any match out there, other factors asside.

Clarification:

I am loking for times on both, but please break them out, how fast is your IDPA draw and how fast is the reload?

My times are running around 1.30 draw and 1.50 slide lock reload. Total time for the drill roughly 2.80

• 1 month later...