Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confused: CZ Tactical Sport or STI Edge / similar

I'll pose this here.....

My friends and I were talking over a couple of beers earlier concerning good weapons for use in Limited. I suggested the CZ 5 Tactical Sport due to cost, quality, etc. Basically everyone else mentioned getting a 2011 model such as the STI Edge. the more we spoke, the more they were getting me convinced that the additional $$ for one would be worth it. Things mentioned were:

availability of parts

likelihood of gunsmiths knowing the weapon

shorter / consistent / more precise trigger feel

In favor of the CZ TS I mentioned:

pistol cost

magazine cost

trigger function / accuracy would probably be the same

Which do you folks thing would be the preferred route?

I'll pose this here.....

My friends and I were talking over a couple of beers earlier concerning good weapons for use in Limited. I suggested the CZ 5 Tactical Sport due to cost, quality, etc. Basically everyone else mentioned getting a 2011 model such as the STI Edge. the more we spoke, the more they were getting me convinced that the additional $$ for one would be worth it. Things mentioned were:

availability of parts

likelihood of gunsmiths knowing the weapon

shorter / consistent / more precise trigger feel

In favor of the CZ TS I mentioned:

pistol cost

magazine cost

trigger function / accuracy would probably be the same

Which do you folks thing would be the preferred route?

If money isnt an issue, try them out and get the one that fits you the best.

That's how I decided between them and I ended up with a TS. Even without cost as a factor, I prefer the TS, the lower price is just a nice bonus...

i run a CZ tactical sport in .40 for the limited class. love the gun,tight fit barrel/slide/frame good accuracy too,the trigger in stock form is short and smooth with 0 creeping but adding the comp hammer/trigger doesn't hurt making the whole trigger feel even better.

but you should be warned that their stock mags are pure cr** for the match.the assembly of these mags is loose and fragile.

i swapped the stock sights for some LPA adjustable with a 6.5 front FO needle of 1.0 to work with the rear .

i'm still trying to get a set of grip who work for me ,i only found thin alu grip from ghost products, i need something way thicker, i have large hands....i might end up doing my own.

i tried couple sti's, sure if money wasn't an issue i would probably pick the edge, their fit is great , not that it shoot better but i liked the feel of STI's and their fit is very tight.

4iljid.jpg

Edited by sigsauerfan

I would pick an Eagle with a 6" bushing barrel instead of the Edge.

Eagle will give you the advantage of round capacity, less muzzle flip, easier to find parts, greater choice in parts, very durable magazines, etc etc etc, The CZ is a decent gun but you will always be in an uphill battle playing catch up up with a wide body 1911/2011. There is a reason they dominate USPSA Limited and Open. They are simply the best tool currently available for the job.

I started out shooting Limited with a CZ TS. I shot it for a year and it is a very good gun, and I liked it a lot. If you are currenly shooting a hinged trigger and you are very good with it, the gun is ready to shoot in a match right out of the box.

If you only intend to shoot Jacketed bullets the CZ does that very well it does not however shoot Moly or lead bullets well, it tends to build up then the accuracy falls off a bit. The balance of the CZ actually has more weight in the right place and the slide is light this cuts recoil and flip, If you have trouble handling recoil its a good pick as the STI is not so balanced.

The biggest disadvantage that's real is the OAL limitation of the mags. You pretty much have to load ammo factory length. With base pad I was getting 21 in my CZ mags, best I've done in STI is 20 (reliable) beyond that you can't depend on it to work.

The non real disadvantage is that it is not a socially acceptable, yep all the dudes only worship STI/SVI.

The STI and I have 5 are also good guns and lots of smith know how to mess them up good and a few know how to make them into excellent competition machines. Out of the box it needs a trigger job, it may or may not run but in a limited gun you got a good chance of it running. You will build a friendship with a smith, so pick one you like. You will not be able to shoot this gun out it will last for 200,000 rounds after a while it will be like a wife you will be able to tell it is her by just feeling one little curve , so make sure its what you like before you get it.

A good used Edge can be had for about $1500 with accessories, and you are on the right forum to find one, in November the Classifieds will heat up, but keep an eye on it,, one hits now and again.

6" or 5", Well at the nationals last year there were some 6" guns, and I didn't see that they finished any better than the 5" guns. I'd say if your going 6" get a custom Bennie, Bedel, Jimmie Mitchell, etc that has had the fat whacked off.

I now shoot my HPF Dawson Edged when shooting Limited, I did have the trigger reworked to 1.5# and it shoots very nice almost like an open gun. That big fat slide on the Edge sure feels good, I have a light slide SVI and nope don't feel good.

Your milage may vary, its all about the feel. I like tall women 7' and up some guy like little tiny women like Kadashian, saw here at the airport yesterday broke my hart she's barley 5' tall. :cheers: