Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In today's economy is it really worth getting into reloading when

Walmarts in the Bay Area Don't sell Ammo any more. Cheapest I can get 9mm ammo is at the local sporting good store when they have 9mm ammo on sale for $16/50

Walmarts in ALAMEDA COUNTY don't sell ammo. The Walmarts in Mountain View, Milpitas and San Jose ALL sell ammo. Lately the shelves have been FULL of Federal 115 gr. FMJ @ $9.47/box of 50. Of course, this is subjet to change due to market conditions and the uncertainty of the implementation of AB962 in Feb. 2011. At that time you may be forced into buying a press.

It might be worth your while to make a few phone calls, take a drive down the 880, and buy all that you can afford. Use the ammo, save the brass and take your time to make the decision of what press is the right one for YOU. When you do buy the press, you will have a supply of brass to start out with and will not have spent any more money than you would have if you had bought your press right away.

Don't forget, in addition to the press, you'll also have to purchase a tumbler & media, a scale, dies, calipers and other supporting paraphernalia.

Good luck with your dilemma.

Jim

Jim is right. There is ammo available at Walmarts out of the county.

I spoke to the manager at one store - if AB962 is implemented, Walmart will probably stop selling handgun ammo, as they will probably consider it too onerous to follow all the paperwork requirements.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are if you enjoy shooting, price is not much of a concern as long as it is within your means. The fact is, you pay if you shoot one way or another. Personally, I enjoy participating in many activities and I enjoy the science of the activities as much as the participation in them. So, for me it is a no brainer, in fishing, I wind my own rods, archery I tune my bow and assemble and tune my arrows, and in shooting I like the ability to tinker with my own loads while consulting loading manuals, knowledgeable people, and experience. To me that is what it is about, not just one thing..the shooting...the reloading...but the combination of science, comoradore and experiencing the totality of the shooting sport.

Don't look at it as an economic decision but rather what do you want from the shooting sport and follow your wants.

Don

Edited by dabeaven

• 8 months later...