Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to practice for a 75 yard shot

joecichlid

After talking with the match director for KS Sectional I need to practice some LONG shots, two rounds from the draw, 4 second par time at 75 yards. Any ideas how I can get some practice at this when I only have access to a 25 yard range? Part of me is thinking something around the size of an index card at 25 yards? I also don't plan on wasting time with a slow draw *50 yard draw as I have heard it called*. The usual draw I do on all the usual stages is the plan. Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe W.

Reducing the size of your target at 25 yards to

simulate 75 yards is a great start, but you

should also see where your load/gun hit at 75

yards if that's your plan.

How much drop at that range depends on your

load and how you're sighted in.

What kind of gun/caliber/velocity are you

using?

Jack

Reducing the size of your target at 25 yards to

simulate 75 yards is a great start, but you

should also see where your load/gun hit at 75

yards if that's your plan.

How much drop at that range depends on your

load and how you're sighted in.

What kind of gun/caliber/velocity are you

using?

Jack

ACK!! Sorry I forgot to include that info: Open gun, .38 Super 1410fps with a 6MOA dot.

1/3 size targets would be a start, but you'll need to know your bullet's trajectory at 75.

Thanks for the tip, hopefully I can find some this week, the match is in three weeks. lol Yeah, not a lot of time to practice but I will do what I can. :)

Joe W.

What distance is your gun sighted in at ? You have a traditional scope mount ?

Standard Alchin mount and the gun is zeroed at 15 yards. Going off info from a post last year with the velocity/dot size the bullet should stay pretty well within the diameter of the dot out to 85+ yards. This will be a real test of that information.

Joe W.

You can use 1/3 size targets for sight picture, but that won't help with POI on the clock or the way the actual distance will amplify the deviation in POI caused by sight misalignment and trigger issues when breaking the shot.

Take it to Parma Woods conservation range in Parkville, Mo. $3 for an hour of testing from 10yds to 100.. Just dont shoot faster than 1 shot every 3 seconds. :surprise:

Same rate for out of state shooters? I live on the KS side but only about 20 minutes from Parkville. Although I have never been to that range, or even been able to find out how to get there. lol

You can use 1/3 size targets for sight picture, but that won't help with POI on the clock or the way the actual distance will amplify the deviation in POI caused by sight misalignment and trigger issues when breaking the shot.

I have a target on the computer, will have to print out some copies to try out at 25 yards this week. Thanks for the idea!

Joe W.

Take it to Parma Woods conservation range in Parkville, Mo. $3 for an hour of testing from 10yds to 100.. Just dont shoot faster than 1 shot every 3 seconds. :surprise:

Same rate for out of state shooters? I live on the KS side but only about 20 minutes from Parkville. Although I have never been to that range, or even been able to find out how to get there. lol

Joe W.

Same rate for everyone, not hard.. google maps can find it.

Edited by DWFAN