Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 lowers...

stinsonbeach

Brownells. Barrel locking lug file. There is only one type. Get a plastic handle for it too.

#2 Pillar file. I use my dremel to smooth out the safe edge.

Lug file (not cheap) 080-751-000

May be able to use something else but it's aggressive enough and the teeth are cut right up to the tip for tight work. Great for thinning the lug area of the grip. The square shape and opposing safe sides are important.

#2 Pillar, 6" 191-399-110

Thank you - I'll be ordering today.

-jb

ps you have any problems w/ cracking @ the mag release & behind trigger guard?

(see: http://www.brianenos...showtopic=99995)

Edited by stinsonbeach

Yesterday - Monday - I received both the 2011 AL grip & the files.

I haven't even had the chance to see what has to be done as I'm going away until the end of the week.

I'll start - w/ pics - then.

-jb

ps all suggestions & "ball-busts" greatly appreciated!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got all the "stuff" on the mail, but it sits on my coffee-table looking back at me.

I can't seem go get going on it, in fact I offered it for sale in the "Classifieds" in answer to:

"WTB 2011 IDPA...something" dated today Aug 19.

I just can't get on track w/ this.

-jb

Pour a glass of fine bourbon. Take a sip. Relax.

Remove plastic grip and see just how much work it'll take to get the Al grip to go on without much force. Titrate Bourbon flow accordingly.

Of course I don't condone working on or with firearms while consuming alcohol. I would never do such a thing. :cheers:

Coat the inside of the grip, where it is to mate with the frame, with a blue or black sharpie. That will show where the material needs to be removed from. Go slow.

I followed Bobby's instructions, took my time and made sure the grip just slipped onto the frame without any force. It's not all that difficult a job, just takes time, patience, a good set of files, a marker or dyechem, and more patience.

Once you take the time to fit the grip, you will find it is well worth the work. I wouldnt go back.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

BTT

Well I'm finally back (out of town until a few daze ago) & my aluminum grip fits perfectly!...& I mean perfectly!!!

Did I do a hella'va job, or what?

No. I'd have butchered it -plain & simple - so I "chickened out" & am so glad I did!

I sent it to Bobby Keigans at http://freedomgunworks.com/.

If you have any thoughts of doing it yourself - DON'T...send it to him pronto.

My friend "Rolex" told me to do this a long time ago & it took me this long to decide...they don't call me "RockHead" for nothing!

Edited by stinsonbeach