Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need side saddle for SX2/SLP

strat81

I need a side saddle for my SX2.

I was going to get one from 3GunGear but I haven't received any responses to my e-mails.

I'd like a 7 or 8 shot velcro/elastic side saddle, as well as a 2 shot slide lock pack. Any recommendations?

Mark Otto's stuff. None better. Have them on SX2, SX3, and a Benelli M2. Won't even consider using another brand. And I went through the same thing as you with trying to contact that other guy with the same results.

Hows this for dedication to the shooters: Otto goes to the competitions, even the ones he's not shooting in, just to offer his products to the shooters with no shipping, and he keeps his prices down despite offering a better product that he obviously could sell for more. Good guy and a good product. Proud to have hos logo on my shirts.

Slight thread drift.. several companies make stock mounted side saddles, but I never see them mentioned. Is that because they put the shells too far back on the shotgun to be useful?

I run a cheap Allen butt cuff. They are generally the slowest compared to weak-hand strippers and side saddles. However, their value depends on how you perceive 3-gun.

If you're in it to win it, they are good for adding weight for recoil/balance reasons, as well as an emergency stash or to keep specialty ammo segregated.

If you view 3-gun as another form of training, common wisdom says you'll fight with what's on or in the gun. If something goes bump in the night, most of us probably won't run to the range bag, slap on a belt, load up some shell caddies, and then go investigate. Instead, we'll run to the safe (or other storage location), grab the shotgun, and go. In that instance, it's another ~5 shots you can defend your life with.

Fight like you train, train like you fight. One of the guys I shoot with is local PD and he's shot with his department-issued 14" 870 4+1, along with his Safariland duty holster and iron-sighted AR. He didn't win, but he got valuable trigger time that most guys on his department never have.

Just MHO. YMMV.

Mark Otto's stuff. None better. Have them on SX2, SX3, and a Benelli M2. Won't even consider using another brand. And I went through the same thing as you with trying to contact that other guy with the same results.

Hows this for dedication to the shooters: Otto goes to the competitions, even the ones he's not shooting in, just to offer his products to the shooters with no shipping, and he keeps his prices down despite offering a better product that he obviously could sell for more. Good guy and a good product. Proud to have hos logo on my shirts.

Thank you everyone for the recommendation.

Ken, I measured my SX2's receiver to be around 7" (of course I could have measured wrong or I might be misremembering). How does the 9-shot saddle work since it's longer? Did you cut it? If I let it overhand at the front, it would get stuck to the foreend field-stripping would be problematic. At the rear, it looks like it would interfere with the grip. Thoughts?

start applying it at the rear of the receiver and go forward, letting it overlap your forearm by about 2". to make disassembly easier cut the velcro piece that you will be sticking to the gun so that you separate the forearm from the receiver. also notch out a small piece so you can drive out the drift pins that hold the trigger mech in place for cleaning.

• 8 months later...

Have you looked at the Mesa Tactical sure shell? They have an 8 round model, that does not require the forend being modified. It is expensive (between $75-90.00 depending where you get it. Just do a google search.), but it is made of aluminum, and uses an elastomer piece to hold the shells in. It looks slick and won't wear out.

Z

Z,

I have considered the Mesa. I had one on an 870 and liked it. Price aside, one reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a Mesa is that I've heard of some users reporting problems with them on semi-autos, supposedly because it squeezes the receiver and causes the bolt to bind. Of course, others use them with no problems. *shrug*

I plan on getting in touch with Mark today or tomorrow. He was great during the purchase process and I'm happy to see he's interested in seeing what's up with the problem I'm having. He supports the sport and I'm glad I gave him the business originally. I didn't contact him directly because I'm not looking for a refund or freebies or anything like that. The slide lock pack I purchased from him is still working great and attaches tightly. As of right now, I'm chalking up the malf to worn out velcro. We'll see whether or not that is the case and I appreciate Mark contacting me about it.

And for those scratching their heads about side saddles, I have the grace of an epileptic pig on a muddy ice skating rink. Using shotshell caddies would be a comedy of errors for me, so I stick with side saddles.

• 9 months later...

Anyone know of a side saddle that will sit on the right hand side (ejection port side) of an 870, probably a 3-4 round side saddle, preferrably made of kydex or other rigid plastic (not velcro and fabric).

I check with Tac STar/Parhmayr, but theres are all for the left side "but if you have a left handed 870, you can mount them on the left side instead fo the right." I think the service rep didn't understabnd my question :)

The scenario is my customer has a folding pistol grip stock, which folds to the left (personally I don't like the pistol grip in this case, but it's not my gun), so I can't place a side saddle there. But I checked all my suppliers who have nothing left to offer, so if I am going to have to go "retail" I'm hoping for some suggestions. Any help?