Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for some tips to improve my game

Wik

I have been dry firing daily lately, and was hoping that I could get some advice on my technique. I am hoping to correct anything I am doing wrong before it becomes a habit. I know everything in the video needs improving on, but is there anything specifically that I'm doing incorrectly? How poor is my turn and draw, anything you would change there? Mostly looking for stance, reload, draw, and turn and draw advice.

th_GLOCKDRYFIRE.jpg

Thanks!

I think you look really good with solid fundamentals, I don't think you need to do anything but continue doing what you are doing.

I can usually tell, from video, those that are genuinely working on their technique and form, versus, just having a cool/fast video sacrificing the fundamentals to fish for compliments. You can definitely see in your eye's you are focused on your targets and you are working on your fundamentals and not just pushing the speed, just to push the speed. There are those that you can tell go way beyond their skill set.

Don't get me wrong, push yourself to the limit's in practice, but it's got to be somewhat controlled and something to actually build on. Because pushing the speed, nailing a few reloads that make it to edit but with poor fundamentals, even when dialed down, will equal crap performance.

Good job, keep it up.

Wik,

You have a slight crouch going on during the draw stroke. That full length mirror on your door is a good tool to help cure that. During the draw, the only parts of your body that should move are your arms. Your torso/head should remain perfectly still. Draw facing the mirror. Before drawing, note the position of the top of your head in relation to an object reflected in the mirror, and keep your eyes on that during the draw. The goal being for your head to not move during the draw. It may help to learn the new feel if you slow down your draw speed a bit. You cannot do to much of that practice.

be

Wik,

You have a slight crouch going on during the draw stroke. That full length mirror on your door is a good tool to help cure that. During the draw, the only parts of your body that should move are your arms. Your torso/head should remain perfectly still. Draw facing the mirror. Before drawing, note the position of the top of your head in relation to an object reflected in the mirror, and keep your eyes on that during the draw. The goal being for your head to not move during the draw. It may help to learn the new feel if you slow down your draw speed a bit. You cannot do to much of that practice.

be

Thanks for the tip Brian. I know that I lean about 3" to the left on the draw to create a gap between my holster and my torso--Would that be what you're referring to? I actually fixed it today in my dry fire session by lifting up my pants. I'm about 15-20 lbs overweight and have a little bit of a gut. If I wear my pants higher where my torso naturally goes in, it creates a much larger gap and I don't need to lean. It also makes it SO much easier to draw. I felt like I knocked at least .2 seconds off my draw. My draw from surrender feels great now.

My draw from relaxed doesn't feel as good. I think it's due to the upward motion of bring up my arm, followed by the downward motion of getting a good grip, and then the upward motion of drawing. I really need to work on getting a solid grip from relaxed on the upward stroke, so I don't push back down on the gun before I pull it back up.

My reloads today also felt smoother. I really concentrated on making sure the magazine and the magwell were at the same exact angle before insertion. It may seem obvious, but I was overlooking it and my reloads got a lot more consistent after. It seems like I wait too long after my shot to eject the magazine, but I tried doing it faster and ended up pulling the shot off the target a little bit. I think I need to work on that more.

Was my step on El Pres okay? I have seen a lot of good shooters pivot, but I felt a step would be more consistent. Do you think I should be pivoting more than I am now?

Thanks again.

Wik,

The turn step looked fine.

Work with the mirror, a lot. Bottom line is that you want to see very little, if any, head movement during the draw.

And also keep in mind... It may take quite a few years until it will be okay to stop experimenting with technique. Or you may never.

be

You are grabbing the reload mag very different than I've ever seen anyone do it before. It's like you're cupping the bottom and bringing it to the gun's magwell like it's sticking out of your palm. I think eventually this technique might hinder speeding up your reload at some time in your progression. You seem to do it very well, but it's quite a step from the ordinary. With this holding technique, I think it's going to make it difficult to speed up your hand from the gun to the mag and get a grip on it in a manner where it will present to the magwell without problematic angles. Like I said, I've never seen it before so it's hard for me to tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wik,

be

I had a question relating to his draw. How do you feel about arm extension? I was originally taught isosceles and to twist elbows in until they are facing upward and locked does make accurate shooting. However, when you strap on bullet bouncers and other gear there is no way you can do that so it forces a freestyle platform. What I am unsure of is how to find the happy medium (when not wearing gear) of how much arm extension to provide nice and natural recoil yet placing the sights at a correct focal distance/ relief? And then be able to reproduce this consistently.

Sorry, but I don't understand this part:

However, when you strap on bullet bouncers and other gear there is no way you can do that so it forces a freestyle platform. What I am unsure of is how to find the happy medium (when not wearing gear)

To get a good starting point for arm extension, bend over at the waist until your back is parallel with the ground, and just let your arms hang down naturally, then lightly grip your hands together.

be