Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable rear sight for P226?

assaulter

meprolight used to make an adjustable night site I put on my old 220. I still use it even though the night sites are dead. You may be able to find a better suited sight but that one worked ok on my old sig. It went in hard and I should have sanded the site base before I pounded it in.

I'm not a huge fan of adjustable rear sights, but you could always put one of Dawson Precision's Springfield XD adjustable rear sights on your P226. The Springfield XD and Sig P22X dovetails are identical. Currently, I use a Dawson Precision XD fixed rear sight on my P226 as well as a Dawson Precision XD fiber optic up front. The only problem is that the rear sight will slightly hang off the rear of the slide. The benefit is that this slightly increases your sight radius! :)

I'm really at a loss at what to do. The pistol shoots fantastic and it's accurate, but trying to shoot small steel plates is a bitch because I have to aim over the plate to the point that I can't even see my target! I'm just tired of having to adjust for it.

I checked the sight and could not identify a make or model, sorry. One other route you might consider is swapping the #8 Dawson front sight for a #9 Sig front sight or a #9 Sig rear. That should move the POI up 1" and 2" at 25yds respectively. You didn't specify if the Dawson front was a plain black, or fiber optic. If it's a FO you might not be clearly seeing the top of the blade due to the FO bulb being too large (bloom effect). According to Dawson's website both the #7 & #8 are .160 tall. I'm guessing that is a typographical error. Might want to give them a call and find out what the #8 is supposed to be and see if they can make you one just a bit shorter. Best of luck.

for reference on Sig sight #'s

http://www.topgunsupply.com/faq.php

I'm not a huge fan of adjustable rear sights, but you could always put one of Dawson Precision's Springfield XD adjustable rear sights on your P226. The Springfield XD and Sig P22X dovetails are identical. Currently, I use a Dawson Precision XD fixed rear sight on my P226 as well as a Dawson Precision XD fiber optic up front. The only problem is that the rear sight will slightly hang off the rear of the slide. The benefit is that this slightly increases your sight radius! :)

Does the Springfield rear sight fit without doing anything with the slide?

Does the Springfield rear sight fit without doing anything with the slide?

The Dawson Precision XD rear sights require ZERO modification of the slide.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a #8 dawson front and factory #8 rear and my Sig is shooting 3-4" low at 20 yards. Does anyone know of an adjustable rear?

I suggest you read this before you do anything else, and definitely look at the Diagrams that Growler provides links to .... may just answer your question and solve your problem (I had exactly the same problem). He provides and excellent and clear cut description of how SIG's are designed to aim and what sight picture you need if you stay with Sig Sights.

Ken

http://www.handgunforum.net/sig-sauer/25072-p226r-elite-sights-shoot-too-low.html

I have a #8 dawson front and factory #8 rear and my Sig is shooting 3-4" low at 20 yards. Does anyone know of an adjustable rear?

This is the link you want to read ... may explain how/why you do not need an adjustable rear sight, instead, you have to learn how to use the Sights you already have; at least that was my case. I thought the sights were no good but the problem was that I did not understand their design.

Ken

http://www.handgunforum.net/sig-gunsmithing/24919-sig-shoots-high-have-questions.html

• 4 months later...