Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which bullet, powder, & primer to use?

I am new to reloading. I shoot a Browning Hi Power 9mm, Remington 742 30-06, and soon to shoot an Armalite AR 10(T) carbine 308, and soon to be a Springfield M1A Loaded with SS Barrel. I hunt with my 30-06. And I plan to shoot at my range with the 9mm and the 308's. I like to get good value for my money, I don't always buy the most expensive product, but I do not want to sacrifice quality to save a buck. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. So my questions are what bullet, powder, and primer to by for each gun?

First off, welcome!

Honestly, the answer(s) to that question could fill pages. In the reloading section you'll find pet loads people have listed for most of the popular choices. I'm not so sure there's a thread on 30-06, but I know you'll find plenty on 9mm (tons) and probably quite a bit on .308Win. R,

First things first, if you don't have one, buy one or more good reloading manuals and read them cover to cover. I've never loaded the -06, but the 9mm is a piece of cake. As noted, there are a ton of load suggestions on this site and others, but I think you are much better off (and safer) to FIRST read up on reloading and load options for your chosen calibers.

As for 9mm primers, I imagine any small pistol primer will do for you starting out. Since they can be hard to find, take what you can get. There are soooo many opinions on powders and bullets, depending on your objective (e.g., plinking/target or self-defense) and firearm being used, recommendations will differ. For starting out, I would think a 115-124 fmj and a powder with a moderate burn rate (something around Unique or Universal) would be a good place to begin.

Thanks, It looks like I have several hours of research ahead of me.

Your not the only one! I still have trouble not knowing what recipe to go with, a lot has to do with fear of damaging the weapons. I got 3 manuals and the comparison between the 3 books have made loading confusing on starting loads of powder charges to start with and as I read on that powder charge can be close to the max powder charge! And I thought 3 manuals will be fine but I am wrong, now I understand why most of the loaders in this forum is suggesting to get many manuals.. So I will be getting another manual + I just finished copying load data from the powders I have selected according to bullets I have chosen to load for! I'm not sure if this will help, all the best and good luck and be safe!

+1 on ABC's of Reloading. Get a few books though. I've been reloading for almost 5 years now and I still continue to learn new things. I'm constantly developing new loads, tweaking my press for performance and figuring out what I like and don't like about various barrel, projectile, powder, primer, and brass combinations. The best thing is to take notes and work your loads up from a safe starting point and keep on learning, experimenting safely, and researching.

I've found reloading to be my second favorite hobby. Making empty brass is the first!

Welcome onboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, It looks like I have several hours of research ahead of me.

Your not the only one! I still have trouble not knowing what recipe to go with, a lot has to do with fear of damaging the weapons. I got 3 manuals and the comparison between the 3 books have made loading confusing on starting loads of powder charges to start with and as I read on that powder charge can be close to the max powder charge! And I thought 3 manuals will be fine but I am wrong, now I understand why most of the loaders in this forum is suggesting to get many manuals.. So I will be getting another manual + I just finished copying load data from the powders I have selected according to bullets I have chosen to load for! I'm not sure if this will help, all the best and good luck and be safe!

+1 on all this. thing is that the OAL suggested in many books is far from what i want , making the repiece seeked a poker run(testing)