Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 dented sholders & RT 1200B gets HOT

TheBlackSheep

Gentlemen, (I hope I'm not using that term to loosely)

I have just begun my foray in to rifle cartridges. I am encountering two main problems thus far; first I am acquiring dents up on the shoulder of about 10% of the brass. I understand that this maybe from overuse of lube, however can it be a symptom of another problem? Are these dented rounds otherwise safe to use or should they be disassembled ?

The second problem I am experiencing is with my RT 1200B gets substantially warmer than one would expect. I measured the temperature with a thermometer and was astounded to find that after two minutes it was around 120 and after five minutes it was holding at 150, with no load. It goes with out saying this caused some alarm.

I would say that the hotness is normal.

I would agree that the dented shoulders could be because of too much lube.

And unless you are loading near the edge, dented shoulders are OK to shoot. Back in the day when I shot and could afford factory I shot dented Winchester Q3131A (a hot factory round) without any problems.

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience, dented shoulders are usually the result of excessive lube. It's also possible that there may be media or other crud accumulated in the die. I'd try spraying out the die with brake cleaner and visually verify that that the die is clean.

As far as the trimmer motor getting hot, I've noticed the same thing. I've never checked it with a thermometer, but it definitely gets warm.

+1 to the excessive lube, you can take apart the die and use brake clean on it, or on the next series of rounds going in, not lube them as 'liberally' to get some of lube out ofthe die without taking it apart, long as the rounds arnt really hot, or the dent big enuff to interfere with chambering??? you should be good to go