Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is acceptable variance from a powder charger when using TG?

The ROC

I've been reloading for some time and still stuck on a single stage from my precision rifle days.

The powder charger I'm using is a Redding I bought 20 years ago and still work great.

I just started to use TG becuase of the hype and out of habit I weigth each charge with a digital scale. I am unhappy to report that there is too much variance from my 3.6gr I wanted. +/- 0.1gr is exceptable to me but I was getting alot of 2.8gr, 3.2gr all the way up to 4.0gr and afew 4.2gr.

I have used IMR in the past for rifle and been using W231 for 9mm, I got a 1/2 lb of W320 from a friend and ALL meters very accurately out of my Redding with just a +/- 0.1gr variance.

I'm wonder is it because TG is in the form of a flake and my Redding's design does not like flakey powder?

Thanks for you input.

Last time I got squirrley powder charges in my Hornady LNL and I think the powder measure is similar to the Redding, it was because it was dirty. There was powder stuck in the drop tube. I washed it down with brake parts cleander and used a 22 cal bore brush to clean the inside of the tube. It appeared that the low charges were more powder sticking and then the big ones were when that powder let go in the tube.

Since theat episode no lube on the powder measure moving parts or any where near it.

TiteGroup worked find in the LNL, but its not a powder to be inaccurate with a little goes a long way.

Also I keep a Beam Scale to verify readings on the Electronic. I've worked in Information Technology for 30 years I don't trust electronic devices. When it don't look right I cross check.

Edited by CocoBolo

I thought about it being dirty and did take apart my Redding measurer but it was clean as a whistle and I don't lube any parts of my Redding.

I too use my RCBS scale just to confirm. It may well be TG doesn't work well with my Redding.

I was just wondering what other reloaders are experiencing with TG variance.

Edited by The ROC

I to use a 20+ year old Redding powder measure. When my charges with Titegroup get below 4.0 gr. the consistency goes out the window. I’ve thought of purchasing a pistol metering chamber for it Reddind pistol chamber but I just don’t use Titegroup enough to justify the purchase.

Right now I only use TG in the 40 and once that’s gone I’ll be switching over to WST for everything. (9 minor, 40 and 45 acp.)

Jeff

I to use a 20+ year old Redding powder measure. When my charges with Titegroup get below 4.0 gr. the consistency goes out the window. Ive thought of purchasing a pistol metering chamber for it Reddind pistol chamber but I just dont use Titegroup enough to justify the purchase.

Right now I only use TG in the 40 and once thats gone Ill be switching over to WST for everything. (9 minor, 40 and 45 acp.)

Jeff

Thanks for the confirmation that it's not just me.

Edited by The ROC

The thing with all small charge weight powders is that you must ensure that you are using the correct size powder dispenser.

With Tg, which you ahve a small volume type powder, very dense, you must use a comensuarate sized dispenser. I make sure that I use the Dillon small powder bar (two piece one that comes with every Dillon Measure) or the extra small charge bar. I get +/- .1 or less on all charges between 3.6 and 7grains with the std small. If I need to load less than 3.5gr I get the extra small charge bar out and it is fine. I have found that once I go below 3.4gr I get about .15 to .2grain varience on charges with a std bar, on the extra small I have loaded as little as 2.6grains perfectly fine. 148gr HBWC 38Spl, accuracy is about 1.75" - 2.4" with a stock 686.

I load 3.8gr TG under a 125gr Lead in 38Super and I get 15fps ES on 10 rounds chronographed. If it gives me anything otehr than that I clean the Measure first then recheck and if still not right I look at things in more depth.