Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Paki Style.

dirtypool40

Back in April 03 I met a guy on the program who had just come back from Pakistan. He had the best reloading story, maybe this belongs in humor....

Out in the tribal areas you can get any gun you want, the areas are "government free" and the locals actually make copies of any gun you can imagine, mostly from scary low tech castings.

Anyhoo, what do they shoot through them? They load their own.

This guy relates how he is sitting around working out a deal on an antique Mauser, sipping tea with these characters. One of them starts to "reload". He gets a tray of primed 7.62 AK cases, stands them all up close together, and now get this....starts POURING powder into them from a pitcher.

Once they are filled, or close to it, he goes along and adds a pinch here, a pinch there until things "look right".

He hammers in a bullet and away they go.

Fools rush in....

What is even more scary is that they have been known to "revive" spent primers!! They simply punch out the primer dent & add a mixture taken from "strike anywhere" matches! (actually works for them sometimes!) This area has been famous for decades for its weapons bazaars where vitually any weapon (or a copy thereof) can be had for a price. It is also the likely hiding place of good old Osama (in honor of him, I designed a cave-like stage called "Osama's Hideout"). Some of the more colorful examples of Pakistani improvised gun I recall were: 7.62 AK-47 converted to fire 8mm mauser and No. I SMLE converted to .458 mag.

Anyone remember stories about:

1) guerilla reloading by Philippine insurgents/US advisors during WW II?? I believe it involved 1903 Springfields

2) Conversion of de-linked .30-06 to 7.62 NATO for use in G-3/HK-91s during an African conflict in the 1980s? I seem to remember this one came with photos.

I think this guy probably has a good method!

The army has worked for years to try and get MGs to disperse rounds (i.e. not fire them all in the same hole). This guy's method pretty much ensures dispersion.

:o

The primer trick made it here as one of the Y2K survival tactics. You could store /make powder, bullets, etc. Primers were the only thing that seemed to be finite. Actually, if you make some sketchy black powder it will work well in a primer.

I have seen in China a similar sight only they use a board with holes about 75 across and 75 down drop the primed cases in the holes dump powder on top thwn they take like a paint brush sweep it around fill the cases.Set bullet on top get another board witht the reverse of the bullet cut in it and wack the heck out of it

and thats how you get $65.00 thousand 7.62x39 ammo.Knowing your powder makes it work Alot of bench rest shooters just fill their cases to the top tap it fill again and seat the bullet works for them!

Dave Skinner once told me about a guy hand-filing out STI-clones someplace in the Phillipines. After seeing the guy's "shop" (to use the term in such a way as to describe what we'd normally call "front yard"), he didn't even have the heart to go all legal on the guy,