Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Loads With Imr 7625

rishii

Hi guys, I need some help.

I just pickup a 8oz can of imr 7625,and I'm trying not to blow the whole can on load development, can anyone suggest a starting load.

my guns is a 38 supercomp with a 4 port hybicomp barrel.

Thanks

Ray

Not sure if you can count on load data with 7625. My practice and local match load is 7.1 grains behind a 125 Hornady HAP, using semi-new lot 7625. My match load is 7.8 grains using an "Older" lot of 7625. The old lot shoots a little softer, and a bit more consistent shot to shot. Unfortunately I only have a couple pounds left. Ironically, though the powder weights are different between the two powders they are volumetrically equal, which means I don't have to tweak the adjustment on the powder measure.

I heard a rumor that the reason the lots changed is because they "lost" the formula. This was probably 4 years ago now. I also heard (again rumor) that they were changing the formula again, so I think you're really best to look at their current data and work up a load. If you decide you do like it, than I'd suggest buying a case at a time since you never know what is going to happen with them.

The only reason I've been able to keep my "stash" for so long is that I hardly shoot open any more.

My load: Alfaro-built SV, three port, three "blow holes", Zero 125 JHP, Fed 100, 7.0 grs. 7625. Avg. vel.: 1342, Extreme spread:10, Standard deviation: 03.

Wifes load: Limcat-built SV, four port, no hybrid-type holes, Zero 135 FMJ, WWSP, 6.3 grs. 7625, Avg vel.: 1262, Extreme spread: 17, Standard deviation: 06.

Standard disclaimer: these loads are safe in my guns only! Start low & work up!