Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What scale to weigh a pistol?

Micah

After getting bumped into Open for having my Prod gun weigh 2oz over the limit at a match several months ago (damn extra layer of grip tape!) I acknowledge the need for a scale to use at home.

So what would be my best, most economical scale option? Is there anything at Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart that can be viably utilized?

TIA :)

I purchased a mini shop scale at Northern Tool that does oz, pounds, etc up to 25 lbs. It was only $30, I think. It's really nice to have around to check your weights of parts and your guns. If I can find the link or more info on it, I'll post it here. Sorry to hear about the bump in class...

kitchen scale.

Hiro, I have found them to be painfully unreliable down to the oz.

Sorry to hear about the bump in class...

I was surprised to say the least, but it's most certainly my own fault for being such a ding-dong ;) I just won't let it happen again.

We needed a scale to weigh competitors' guns at the Mississippi Classic this year so I talked to Gary Stevens. He recommended http://www.oldwillknottscales.com. I ended up ordering this particular scale, although they have many different choices that would work that cost a good bit less: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jennings-jscale-cj4000.aspx

This one did great at the classic. Another nice feature that this particular model has is that it is a counting scale. For example, you can weigh 10 rounds so that it can get an idea for the indivual weight and then you can dump rounds in the hopper (the protective cover fits upside down on the weighing pad as a hopper) and it will tell you how many rounds you have instead of having to hand count all of them. It's limited to 8lbs worth, but I've used it a few times when I get home from a match with some random amount of ammo left.

Old Will Knott Scales shipped promptly and I had no problems whatsoever with my order. I ordered check weights to go with the scale. It was definitely a good recommendation by Gary.

Edited by DBChaffin

I've got one of these: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-7001dx.aspx

It worked great until I dropped it on the floor. Now only part of the display shows. :angry2: I can still use it but I'm not always sure what it says.

If you get a scale from Old Will Knott, be sure and save your receipt. They have a warranty.

I might just order another one of these. It has been consistent. I've weighed guns and parts and reweighed the same items months later and they weighed the same.