Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who likes and Who hates Dawson ICE for Single Stack

Fishin6061

Well I have had the Dawson ICE for Single Stack since they came out. I was having problems seating my ETM mags, so I got the Dawson base pads. Still at least once a match I fail to seat the mags all of the way. I never had this problem with my S&A. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks. (I needed to vent).

Edited by Fishin6061

Well I have had the Dawson ICE for Single Stack since they came out. I was having problems seating my ETM mags, so I got the Dawson base pads. Still at least once a match I fail to seat the mags all of the way. I never had this problem with my S&A. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks. (I needed to vent).

Unfortunately, the Dawson basepads are flush with the bottom of the magwell. If you use a mag pad that extends beyond the basepad, you'll find it works like a charm. When I switched from the Dawson basepad to the CMC extended basepad, i went from seating my reloads 90% of the time to seating them 100% of the time. That extra 1/8" made a lot of difference.

FWIW, I have the Techwell SP on one of my other 1911s, and it offers a similar grip profile to the Dawson, but standard basepads still extend past the bottom of the basepad.

I like the looks of it and the fact that I can take the magwell off if need very quickly. I have one on my Spartan. Overall I prefer my SVI single stack magwell better that I have on my Springfield.

Its a very good design but the mags available need some different basepads to run well with it in my opinion. If you run wilsons you can run the extended pads in all but the ETM mags. If you run the ETM mags with the extended basepads you could run the risk of over inserting the mag because the over insertion stop isn't high enough. You can't really compare it to a SA as its not in the same league size wise. It basically takes the size of the frame and just makes that width a magwell. The big magwells go way beyond that. I run the Techwell XT with Tripp mags and don't have any issues at all.

The main thing to remember is when your seating the mag to, SEAT THE MAG! Don't just try to through it in there and hope.

i had/have the same issue with my Dawson magwell and not seating mags, altho its not a design flaw, its useer error. I got into the habit of "throwing" the mags so to speak into the well with my old S&A. my hand would slide up the frame as i seate the mag and off id go. Well with the Dawson, there is more material in front of the mag under the front strap and my hand occasionally hits that part of the well before i fully seat the mag. It just something i need to reprogram on the load to "heel the mag home" instead of throwing it in. when i take my time and think about what im doing during dryfire, i hot them 100% and the giant opening is easy to hit and forgiving when my alignment is slightly off.

Dawson's fine, just make sure your baseplate is "grabbable".

It shouldn't be an issue if everything's working right.

Just hit the button & drop the mag...& little silicone mag-rub & a clean magwell don't hurt.

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

Dawson Ice No Gap magwell with Dawson Extreme Tactical magazines and Dawson Base Pads seat perfectly and run with no issues in my STI Spartan 9mm.

Same here with my 9mm STI Trojan.

Curtis

I have pretty much decided that my woes with this mag-well came from my technique. I have been focusing on mag-changes during practice with the help of a more experienced shooter as well as doing Burkett reload drills at home. I just shot a match today no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One bad habbit is well on its way to being broken.