Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Hearing Protection

Tokarev

I just got a set of these and they seem to be a great deal. They aren't stereo but rather use one microphone and a wire to provide sound to both ears. They fold up, which makes them nice for a spare set to leave in the range bag or car.

I wanted to pass this on if anybody's interested...

www.harborfreight.com

Search for item # 46798

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys have seen the small plurb in the back of this month's "American Handgunner" about the Caldwell Over & Out Electronic Muffs, they appear to be exactly the same thing I got from Harbor Freight.

I've had my muffs about a month now and have been using them daily while I'm here at the FLETC in Artesia. They don't hurt my head or ears when wearing them for hours on end like some muffs. I did wear a fellow instructor's muffs (Peltor) for a few hours to compare and really don't see a huge difference. His muffs sound a little less "tinny" and can be turned up to a slightly higher volume but they don't seem to really sound all that different. His are stereo, which seems to be nice but probably unnecessary. Also, the cheap muffs seem to take a split second longer to turn back on after a gun shot.

I did notice that I got a slight buzz or static noise when I had my muffs on during our recent night qual. This was due to the overhead range lights and went away when the lights were turned off. I didn't ask anybody else using electronic muffs if they could hear this. Anyway, it was slight background noise and didn't seem to hinder the overall performance of the muffs.

I'm going to buy another set of the cheap muffs to keep as a back-up!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a little research on the net and found a page from Midway that sure looks like the Harbor Freight product. Midway says:

Type: Over the Head

Protection Level: 27 NRR

Noises above 85 dB are clipped out.

Battery Type and Number:2 AA Batteries

Batteries Included: No

Notes:

Muffs provide stereo sound

Amplifies non-harmful sounds while blocking out harmful sounds (such as a gunblast).

LED lighted display lets you know when the muffs are on

Padded headband and soft, foam filled ear cushions

Take a look at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/136427

Guest Larry Cazes

These look just like a pair I bought locally called "EMUFFS". I paid $89.99 and I no longer use them for IPSC. The issue that I have with these which the higher priced models don't exhibit is that they completely shut off for a second or two whenever sounds exceed Xdb. The better ones never shut off and just clip the noise. Doesn't seem like an issue until you need to RO or score on a stage where there are gunshots or loud noises in the background. At the last match I scored a stage at, this became such a headache that I borrowed a pair of Peltors. The best bang for the buck seems to be the Pro Ears that are on sale at Shooters Connection for $149.00. They work very well and one set of N batteries is supposed to last 300+ hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine from harbor freight today. I think they are well worth the money, but they aren't very loud , if you double plug you may have as much trouble hearing as you would with regular muffs. They Clip the noise out , which may or may not make any differance to you. In my opinon thay sound a little noisey, but for what the cost I'm satisfied, if they last.

I've been using mine five days a week for about a month. I'm not running them 40 hours a week but I am using them two or three hours a day and they're still working fine. I haven't noticed mine being quiet but I'm not using inner ears either. I run mine with the volume knob about halfway up and that seems about right for conversation.

One thing I do notice is that they stick out a little and hit the comb on a rifle stock. Not so much as to be uncomfortable but still more than a set of Peltor Tacticals or what have you.

They seem to be a great buy. If the electronics quit they were not much more than a regular pair of muffs so I'm not out anything.