Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TJ Brass + Redding Die = Problem

Foxbat

I am getting this strange problem that only happens on TJ brass I sometimes get in the mix while loading the 38 SC. The sizing die is carbide Redding 38 Super. Should a different die be used on TJ?

Material gets pushed down, bunching near the bottom of the case, making it unusable.

post-21305-127869444776_thumb.jpg

Are the 38TJ range pick ups? Given that you are only having problems with the TJ and if they are range pick ups I would offer that those were probably shot in a gun with a generous chamber and expanded accordingly. If you have any other TJ that has not been resized measure the OD in a couple of spots with a caliper then compare with measurements from brass that you know have been shot in your gun (before resizing).

I had the same problem with brass (38SC) I picked up at a major match I RO'd and shot a couple of years ago. Ended up resizing the bucketful one evening and culling out those like you have.

CYa,

Pat

I did some tests, and it seems it is indeed related to bulging - I selected about 30 such TJ cases, and the more severely bulging ones had this problem, about 4 out of 30.

However, there were other brands cases more bulging, and they did not have any issues. Probably the brass composition played its role. All these cases were Starline.