Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber Switch

TRG65

I'm going to ask this question to double check myself more than anything else.

To switch a 1911 from 45 to 9mm a whole new top end is needed in addition to a new ejector on the frame, correct?

What would be the approximate cost for the parts and fitting involved. 5" gov't.

Thanks

I switched a 45 to 9mm. I got a slide with extracter, firing pin etc at a gun show. I did some trading but I think it was around $200. Roger T. gave me an old barrel. I found a bushing in my spare parts. I bought an ejector and an EGW front sight. Had a local GS cut a dovetail for the front sight. I found an old Swensight rear sight in my spare parts. I think total cash outlay was around $300. Of course my standards of quality work are lower than others. :P

Bill Nesbitt

To switch a 1911 from 45 to 9mm a whole new top end is needed in addition to a new ejector on the frame, correct?

What would be the approximate cost for the parts and fitting involved. 5" gov't.

Thanks

A new top end for sure, but not necessarily a new ejector. I have an STI 9mm Trojan (5") and I had a .40SW Longlside top end built for it which drops on and works perfectly using the same ejector and slide stop. So, it can be done

As for cost?

I recall the 6" Trojan top end parts complete ran about $700 and labor for fitting was probably in the $300 range. It's always cheaper just to buy a new gun, but I couldn't because the gun isn't legal here in Nazifornia.