Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

walnut shell media in Seattle area?

I'm heading to the Seattle area (SeaTac) to pick up a relative at the airport and would like to pick up some walnut shell media for case cleaning. I read its available in 25-50 lb bags as sandblasting media. I want it sized so it won't stick in primer pockets. Does anybody know what and where to get it in the Seattle area?

thanks

I dont know where to pick it up, but I know if you mix about half of it with white rice you will have some of the cleanest brass youve ever seen!!! Trust me on this one sounds crazy, but try it.

I just looked up sandblasting supply stores in the phone book and started calling until I found it. I'm guessing you'll have to do the same unless somebody knows exactly where to send you.

When I bought my tumbler I went the lizard litter and corncob from walmart route. I was not impressed with either and eventually bought 40 lb bags of both from sandblasting supply stores and Grainger. Much better stuff and seems to last much longer. The walnut media seems to stay sharp much longer than lizard litter. The corncob was too big and got hung up in the separator every time.

I'm heading to the Seattle area (SeaTac) to pick up a relative at the airport and would like to pick up some walnut shell media for case cleaning. I read its available in 25-50 lb bags as sandblasting media. I want it sized so it won't stick in primer pockets. Does anybody know what and where to get it in the Seattle area?

thanks

Try the pet supply stores. I believe it is also used for bird litter. The pet store are also a good source for ground corn cobs.

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine at Petsmart also. Harbor freight may be less $$ but at least Petsmart are everywhere.

47, Do you have serious or big problems with media getting stuck in primer pockets? And when you deprime your brass would your deprimer pin clear the flash hole of stuck media?

I went to a feed store andgot my last big ol bag of crushed walnut hull media, think it was 14 bucks plus tax out here in Cali. for a 50 lb bag.

yes its small enuff to get into the flasholes butthe decapping pin will push it and the spent primers out in one fell swoop