Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need advice on cheap rig for limited class

spursguy10

I dropped a lot of money on a limited/l-10 gun, and I needed to keep costs under control in order to get to shooting it.

My current limited/l-10 setup is the following

Bladetech DOH

4 speedsec mag pouches (cause I like to shoot l-10).

CR speed belt.

The CR speed belt is good. A cheap floppy belt is not worth the savings IMO. It slows you down, and worst of all it ruins consistency, and thus wastes a portion of your practice time. The only way i'd consider something else is if I wanted a rig that could do crossover duty with IDPA.

I already had a CR speed holster (from my last go around at l-10 with a single stack), but the only way it manages to be comfortable and not get in the way (and thus shoved out of position constantly) is to either adjust it to nearly the same position as the DOH, or to have it pointing at my crotch. Pointing at my crotch I tend to not get a good grip on my draw. Near vertical, it isn't very secure. With a wide body gun, it just wasn't the right thing for me, and the bladetech is pretty damn fast. My fastest times with both in dryfire and live fire are pretty close. My average draw to first A hit is better with a bladetech simply because I get a better, more consistent grip with it on the draw.

The speedsec pouches are serviceable, but far from the best. They are, however, CHEAP.

My original plan was to be patient and get a ghost and some limcat transformer pouches. I'm shooting sooner, and I am having a hard time convincing myself that replacing any of my gear is going to buy me much.

For a straight up limited setup, one CR speed belt - $55. 2 speed sec pouches (two on your belt, one in your gun) @ $23.99 , and the bladetech DOH = $67.95 so $170.93. It's all gear that isn't knockoffs, and the prices are from shooters connection. Unless you can regularly go under 1 second draw to first shot, and under 1.2 seconds shot to shot on a reload, I can't see this gear holding you back.

Edited by raz-0

The CR speed belt is good. ... The only way i'd consider something else is if I wanted a rig that could do crossover duty with IDPA. 

I use the inner belt as my idpa belt... still more solid than most leather belts (and didn't have to spend any more $).

-rvb

Does anyone have any insight on the CR model A holster? I would be thankful for some advice on the holster!

The one with a hump behind the trigger guard, right where your finger ought to go? Pass.

Good point, I never though of the trigger guard being blocked where the finger usually goes. The basic Cr rig comes with an A model holster, thats why I ask. At $240 for a belt three mag holders and a Model A holster, it seemed like a decent deal!

• 4 weeks later...

If you want cheap do what I did, go to the local gun show and pick up a universal holster that fits on most all belts. Use a belt that you probably already own. Talk to a buddy whose got some XD pouches with his new gun. Put that all together and you have a rig. This is what I am going to do with my beretta. The xd and beretta mags are the same. That's how you save money.

Take care,

Jman

If you are still in the market I can offer my ghost holster just make me an offer in PM. It was originally for my limited gun P14-45. I use a CR for my open gun and now would like to find one holster for both guns so i dont have to change belts.

-Steve