Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide catch digging into thumb

facelessman

Basically, the slide catch is digging into the base of my thumb as I'm shooting. Obviously this gets worse the more I shoot. My duty pistol has actually dug into the meat so much that I bled all over it (very long day of shooting).

I have decent size hands and shoot with my weak hand cam'd really high up on the side of the gun.

Anyone ever put a radius on, or round off the edge of their slide catch to minimize this ??

Here's some pics:

Spot on my hand that's getting torn up (this is just from the match this weekend).

thumb.jpg

My hand on the gun about where it sits when I'm gripping. You can see where the edge of the slide catch hits.

thumbstop.jpg

Then the edge I'm talking about rounding off.

stopeedge.jpg

If that grip is working for you, by all means file or dremel off the sharp edge on the slide stop. If you haven't been holding with your left hand there for so long that it's automatic, or your groups aren't as tight as you would like, have you tried rotating your left hand farther down ? That would get you off the slide catch and might give you a little more recoil control as well as making it more unlikely you'll ever cause yourself a malfunction by dragging your thumb on the slide.