Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot question

SuperD

I began looking for a red dot for my two pistols. I am new to pistol shooting and have no experience with red dots. I was thinking of purchasing one sight and switching between the two guns for different leagues which run at different times of the year. I use a Glock for IPSC in the summer and an S&W model 41 for Bullseye in the winter. I do realize that the use of a red dot would put me in open class. It appears that the two different disciplines favor different types of red dot sights. IPSC primarily uses heads-up display/tubeless/reflex sight style sights (ex. C-More) and bullseye primarily uses tube style sights (ex. Ultradot 30mm or 1” tubes). What are the advantages/disadvantages in these totally different style sights? Is it possible to be competitive at both different disciplines with one of these sights? If so which would you recommend and why?

You'll probably end up getting two dots, it's a pain to switch/re-zero. You'll have to do more than add a red dot to your Glock to run in USPSA open division. I had a C-More on my guns, but now I run the tube type. It's just faster for me to index it using the tube. I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge, not bullseye.

Cant really talk to the Bullseye shooting other than to say that most folks I know who do that use a magnified optic.

As for the Glunk, putting an optic on it indeed put you into Open and if your willing to go there you need to do more than the optic (as stated before). Most popular would be something like a Jpoint where its slide mounted - mounting on the frame gets you about 50% accuracy due to the slop and flex.

Put an optic on the Bullseye gun and start building an Open Glunk if you want to go that route.

My 2 cents worth.......

Dot size will be factor as well. For bullseye, you'll want a small dot, probably in the 1-4 MOA range. Makes it easier to shoot those Xs & 10s at longer ranges.

For speed shooting (IPSC), a larger dot in the range of 4-8 MOA works better for faster target acquisition.

Alan~^~

• 2 weeks later...