Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting poppers with slugs . . .

I think everyone has seen that youtube video of the guy shooting the 50cal and the round comes back and takes his ear muffs off. of course the slug is not that extreme but it can be pretty devastating if it does come back and hit you. I agree with the longer distances, harder steel with no dings, and placed at an a angle, maybe even some kinda of bullet trap system. the slug will start losing its velocity imediately after leaving the barrel, it may say 1200 fps on the box, but after 30-40yds you can almost cut that in half, but who wants to get hit with a 1 ounce slug at 2-400 fps. If you hear flyers, there is a chance that it can come back at you, or someone in the next bay, and the steel must be able to be adjusted.

oh thats a good one, use a viral video as proof that something actually happened............thats funny!!! :roflol: I wonder if we could get the mythbusters to prove or disprove it???????

Using improper steel (not hard enough or old and abused)would probably be the number one culprit to the offense of having splatter come back, #2 is probably improper set up. Sorry no viral video to back up my claim just stage design experience. :rolleyes:

trapr

I shot a popper with a 12g slug at about 20-25y once.

Once.

It left a nice big divot.

It wasn't 500 hardness steel or anything, but those same poppers have been in steady use for years now in pistol matches.

If I were setting that up, I'd do some testing (starting far) and make sure I didn't ruin the club's steel.

One thing.. I think clubs that run a lot of Gun.. keep steel separate. It's usually not the same types of targets.

16x20 metal plates (approx) that angle down, at 60-80 yards seem to be about the most common.

Ironman (MGM) also uses full IPSC targets for rifle and shotgun at 75 yds (or so).

This isn't usually going to be USPs. (although I do have dibs on the next one deemed unserviceable for the pistol matches to test on)

Off track....Slugs at clay birds are challenging! Show up to the OKCGC and shoot one of their matches.

On track...have shot many slugs on steel at the Ironman and other 3g competitions. There seems to be a trend these last few years to get more out of our shotguns than what they were intended for, ie., 100yd+ slug targets are not uncommon.