Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulging Cases?

Tul9033

Just want to point out that it's not that I think the Case Pro isn't worth it, it's just a big pill for a lot of people to swallow. 9mm generally needs less in the way of resizing because it's a tapered case and chambers don't have to be cut quite so oversized at the mouth to ensure feed reliability. Most of the time even a U-die isn't necessary for 9, but it will likely fix 99%+ of the problems folks experience. Used 9 Major brass is sort of it's own creature! I will note that running a couple of thousand .38SC cases through a friend's Case Pro didn't tighten all of the primer pockets....sort of surprised me. R,

Interesting....I suppose it wouldn't work with 38 super because of the semi rim? I know even 38SC has a small rim, but since super's rim is bigger....?

Grumpy you are spot on the Rim rules out both 38SC and 38Super. Now a friend of min takes his decapping pin out and the top of the sizing die and pushes the brass all the way to the rim then uses a little rod to tap it back out. Now that's dedication.

Bart - I spent some time with caliper in hand shimming my case pro to get the brass spot on spec, and did the same for each caliber. I can't say that I know that it does all the pockets because I have not done enough sampling of rolled brass. I can say I don't have any issues with fat cases.

I bought my CasePro used and it is one of the first ones built, it would go in minuites on the classified and I have had several offers so when it want I'm pretty sure I can get my money back so it didn't cost anything to roll the brass. Just didn't get my .015% on the money in the bank.

Just want to point out that it's not that I think the Case Pro isn't worth it, it's just a big pill for a lot of people to swallow. 9mm generally needs less in the way of resizing because it's a tapered case and chambers don't have to be cut quite so oversized at the mouth to ensure feed reliability. Most of the time even a U-die isn't necessary for 9, but it will likely fix 99%+ of the problems folks experience. Used 9 Major brass is sort of it's own creature! I will note that running a couple of thousand .38SC cases through a friend's Case Pro didn't tighten all of the primer pockets....sort of surprised me. R,

Interesting....I suppose it wouldn't work with 38 super because of the semi rim? I know even 38SC has a small rim, but since super's rim is bigger....?

Well, it should work with Super or SC, but I can't see anything do a perfect job of squeezing the primer pocket since the rim and extractor groove surround most of it. R,

Well, it should work with Super or SC, but I can't see anything do a perfect job of squeezing the primer pocket since the rim and extractor groove surround most of it. R,

Pardon my haste in that one I thought Grumpy was referring to puch it thru and open ended die. The case pro works very well on 38 and 38SC that is why the guy built the first one.

The case pro has a ridge on the outer die that sizes the extractor grove, its the correct size above and below the ridge to size the case properly as well as the rim. The inner die is shaped so that it gets the rest of the case but not down to spec on the bullet end it does most of its work on the bottom third of the case where you need it. Die are specific to each caliber and there are different die for 38 Super ad 38 Super Comp. I shimmed mine to get it right on specs from my reloading book.

$617.00 doesn't seem like a lot of money when you think of ordering 10 cases of Zeros, 20K of primers, and 32# of powder. I'm not adding that up I will quit shooting.

Edited by CocoBolo

If you can see a bulge, throw away the brass.

If brass is visually good, you may simply need to use a Lee FCD.

I keep the gun's barrel by the reloading press and use it to check resized cases and loaded rounds every so often.

The brass, to me, looks fine in the picture and it just looks like a resizing die "mark." If you didn't say they didn't chamber, I would have thought they were fine.

Measure cases with caliper to determine the size of the bulge. Pull the bullets, save the powder if you want, and resize the cases (carefully with the primer in the case or remove the decapping pin) and drop them into your barrel. If resizing, with die just kissing the shellplate, doesn't solve the problem, toss the cases.

I wouldn't spend any money on case prep equipment—how many cases can you buy for the cost of the equipment?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys - I'm new to the forum, but caught the Case Pro thread. I've been trying to reach them, to order a combo 9mm / .40 S&W die, but no response. Tried to call, but the phone message says disconnected. Was wondering if any of you have had recent contact, or any info on the company.

FWIW - besides sizing the case, I like the warm/fuzzy I get from knowing that the extractor groove has been trued, and my "case pro'd" loads just seem to run smoother.

Many thanks,

"Mikegrande"

Grumpy - I'm out numbered here on years of expierence so I'll just have to use some old fashion logic.

Since I know all of you drop check every round take a good 9 mm round and stick it in the drop check backwards, it will fit. Next time you get one that will not fit try the same thing, you will find that the bulge is bigger than the rim so if you pushed it thru a die the size of the rim it would work. you still need to size it when loading. I did this with a Dillon 38 Super Die that I had gound the end down trying to get the bulge out. I cut the top off with my band saw and pushed my bad loaded rounds thru it, luckly none of them went bang but they drop checked, and they ran in my Sig226. Lee I think sells a Bulge Out that is their FCD die with the top cut off + a plunger to push the brass thru, and I saw another company that sells an arbor press with a similar die. You can get a arbor press at Harbor Freight for a few bucks.

You know its 9 major brass when you see lots of primers in the corn. The CasePro will tighten the primer pocket. I only use once fired brass for 9 major, if I pick up any of my own they go into the Minor 9 pool.

The wost of the 40 brass may well come from those adjustments to the feed ramp/chamber intended to make the gun feed better, I call that whipping the wrong dog, because they will feed without doing that if everything else is right. (this is specualtion have no exhibit A for proof note political lingo may well).

Is the CasePro worth it? I bought one so I'd be lying if I said no, yes, it is the only thing that tightens the primer pocket and takes the bulge out. I got it when I went open and I've been very happy with not having any ammo issues and no jams. It would be worth a lot more if I was a shooter capable of winning a major match, but a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while, I won open Division once in a local match 70+ shooters, hehe a M was second.

Just becuse it is a cost issue I will offer the no cost solution. Just run your cases thru deprime and size them then drop check. If they fail the drop check, smackem with a 5# shop hammer and throw them in the recycle bucket, I get $2.50 a pound at the local Iron yard.

And as always if it is not broke don't fix it. Your milage may vary.

I had the exact same problem, Usually with S&B brass. All the S&B brass i have measured is about .004 bigger at the base in diamaeter to most other headstamps i have.

when your sizing die is working too hard to size your brass, that is a good sign there is an issue. I load on a turret, not a progressive, so it's easier for me to feel it.

The 9mm case head is right on 10mm (.394). If you had a pass through die that size, you would be ensuring a buldge would not be larger than the head and that the round would chamber, given ordinary sizing of the rest of the case. Irregularity of the head, extractor dings and burrs, could be cleaned up by that operation at the same time. It would operate exactly like the .40 S&W bulge buster from Lee and the Redding G-Rx.