Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info needed on 686-7 in 38 super?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I did a search and could not find anything on this. I have a S&W 686-7 Performance Center 6 shot in 38 super. I was wondering what it came with since I only received the revolver? I have a 646 that came with the special case etc. I was also wondering if I could shoot 9mm in this revolver if I loaded the 9mm long to 1.170" or so. It will mostly be a steel gun but may see the odd IDPA match in 38 super if I can handle the major loads :surprise: I appreciate any info you guys can give me. What revolver to get next 617 with a 4" barrel? Thanks, Eric

Mrs. Airedale has one. If I recall correctly, it came with the PC aluminum case.

She shoots 9mm in it and it does well. I have one 9mm load for SS (minor), production, and the .38 Super wheelguns. I'm at work and don't recall the specifics on the load. It's nothing special-125 gr JHP. It's accurate enough to stand at the 65 yard line in the pasture (the rock pile) and ring the steel by the old sycamore tree.

As I recall, some brands of 9mm brass fit better (tighter) in the moons than others.

I haven't had it out of the safe this year so I'm a bit hazy on the specifics. It's a great revo and fun to shoot.

Dave

I have one. I got it used and it came with the aluminum PC case and rubber Hogue grips. I think they came with a wood grip.

I've shot major through it in both IDPA and USPSA. It's a little snappy, so I put a set of Hogue X-Frame grips on it. Lots better. ;)

When I tried 9mm, some would fit and some wouldn't.

I use Heathco moon clips. Expensive but worth it. :)

Hello: I appreciate the info. I will have to look for a PC case now and some rubber grips. Mine has a nice set of wood grips that I will try. Good to hear I can shoot 9mm through it since I have 3000 pcs of brass :cheers: Any 9mm loads and info would be great. I just think wheelguns are cool but like the ones that are a little different :roflol: Thanks,Eric

• 3 weeks later...

I have one, shooting 151 Raniers or 150 Berrys in 9mm w/ 3.2 gr titegroup vs 3.4 for 38 super brass. I had two problems with 9mm, frequently the brass would stick in the cylinder. Guessing a combination of tight cylinder as compared against a regular 9mm chamber. Secondly, the 9mm is really short for that cylinder. On the move, the bullet seems to have more time to yaw which meant some key holing? Less of a problem with factory loads as compared to plated reloads.

Yes, it came with the PC aluminum case and wood grips. Mine also came with a bad cylinder which S&W replaced.

Jim G.

Hello: What are the best moonclips to use? I have found some 38 super brass so I am good there. Also could any of you post a pic of the type of PC case that came with your revolver? I want to try to find one. I have the X grip on order from S&W but they are backordered for now. I really want to shoot this one :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I like the very expensive S&W clip with Starline brass for the best combination. For range brass I suggest the better TK custom clips for competition.. Their cheaper clips are a bit sloppy , but great with 9mm and practise. Hard to get a fast reload however with the cheaper clips due to the amount of slop.

Jim G

Hello: I got my X frame grips from S&W today and installed them on my 646 and the 686-7. They fit great and give me extra hand space to grip the monsters. I still need to get the moonclips for the 38 super. Does anyone know if the X frame grips will fit the 617 10 shot? Looking at getting one of those now :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Hello: I will order up some moonclips next week. Any thought on what moonclip holders will work best for IDPA with the 646 and 686? I was wondering about the grip on a 617 10 shot 22LR. Not the big daddy 610 :cheers: Man I forgot about the 610 and maybe a 45 revolver. I think I have revolveritis :roflol: Thanks, Eric