Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC and targets

Flexmoney

Some of the more stats-tempramented shooters like to see where they stand at the end of every match. TJ teaches keeping a log of all your match final percentages and subtracting a fudge factor based on how the winner does against the national big dogs. Comparing after the match is OK. During the match, bad.

Shooting against the top % takes some of the 'the guy I was shooting for had a bad day" or "the guy I was shooting for had a great day" out of the equation, but it's much less interesting to say "I shot 54% today, last month I was 51%".

I think the first turning point is when you no longer start looking for your name by starting from the bottom of the list.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting thread with very good comments.

I guess I experienced what Jake is talking about. I knew where I did poorly (non-shoot, missed seeing a target and didn't shoot at it) and had 50 penalty points for the match. I knew the other guys wouldn't do that and so I drove home knowing I likely wouldn't win anything....BUT I drove home knowing that besides those two screw ups the rest of the match was pretty clean, good hits and high points and big time fun.

I left feeling better about the experience and enjoyed myself so much more than some other major IDPA matches I'd shot and actually won - strange :blink: but I had such a good time and I knew exactly where I had errored and they didn't bother me (to the point of frustration anyhow ;) ) like some other "disaster" matches in the past. I didn't put the pressure of beating the other guys on the top of my priority. I couldnt', they hadn't shot yet :lol: But seriously, I got up and though - go shoot a good match and have fun....and I think I did.

I think it is pretty obvious though that the DVC is a three-sided stool and if any of the legs is missing...blah blah blah....winning takes all three at the top levels but at the lower classes I think speed-ballers can actually achieve higher results than accurate shooters....and speedy guys should not be looked down for this B) ...but the original topic was scoring, targets, and accuracy rewards...that is where my comments are focused. ;) I still think that in the lower classes the target scoring system rewards speed over accuracy a little bit.

...but the original topic was scoring, targets, and accuracy rewards...that is where my comments are focused. ;)  I still think that in the lower classes the target scoring system rewards speed over accuracy a little bit.

Check the hit-factors for lower-division shooters on almost any stage, even speed stages.

The lower your HF, the more time points are worth.

Here's an example from a local match (the midpack shooter is the one halfway down the results for each stage)

Stage 1- Winner 4.5 HF. Midpack shooter 1.3 HF-- for the top shooter every point dropped cost them 1/4 second. For the mid-pack shooter, every dropped point cost them 3/4 of a second.

Stage 2- top HF 8.3. Midpack 4.1. Again the top shooter's dropped points cost them 1/8 of a second each versus 1/4 second each for the midpack shooter

Stage 3- top HF 7.0. Midpack 3.3. 1/7th of a second per point for the top guy, 1/3rd of a second for the midrange shooter.

Stage 4- top HF 10.1. Midpack 5.0. 1/10th of a second / 1/5th of a second.

The reason speed seems so much more important at lower classes is because there's so much more of it to be made up. Rarely do midrange shooters only get 50% of the available points. Frequently they have twice the time of the top shooter.