Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Question (and Holy Cow!!)

Thanks to all who responded. To Brian.... this site is an invaluable resource for Dillon reloaders. I've spent hours reading, and there is still a ton of material!! I think Old John pretty much summarized my needs. Since I'm still part of the working proletariat, my range time is very limited. Hence, the need to load 1000s of rounds per month isn't there. I can imagine this scenario...

200 357Mag

200 357Sig

500 45ACP

maybe 200 9mm

200 41Mag

Occasional 200 batches of 44Mag/45Colt/454Cassul/30-06Spr

You get the picture. We're not into competetive shooting. We just like to put a few rounds downrange at paper targets. So quantity is not an issue. Multiple calibers is. I think the 550B is the way to go? I'm thinking, that with all the required addons (not necessarily all the cailbers at the first purchase) and doodads, about $800 (without bullets/powder/primers/brass) to start? And I will give BE a call.

In response to the posts about the new bullet feeder:

That looks really cool, and I would love to have one but,,,,,,,,,,,,I've had a Fowler Bullet Dropper (less than $200) on my 650 for 2 years now and with some tweaking, it has functioned without misfeed for thousands of rounds. It does not include a collator but, I can load 500 rounds into a handful of feeding tubes in less then 5 or 6 minutes. Once loaded, you do nothing but pull the handle.

I'm new to the forum, and I'm not sure how to include a photo with this post. If there's an insterest, I'll work that out. Also, a local guy (Chicago area ) sells them.

He will ship anywhere.

Shred was kind enough to host a link for the photo. There is no website for Fowler.

http://www.shred2.net/albums/Misc-Pictures/res27565.jpg.

res27565.jpg

Like a reloading die, it screws into the tool head of a 650 or 1050. When the shell plate comes up, it lifts a part in the feeder, and sets a bullet on the flare in the brass. The next stop is the seating die. The Dropper has the be adjusted for bullet length, and the case flare needs to be a bit deeper. (To balance the bullet).

If your shell plate snaps to a halt, sometimes the placed bullet falls off the case. Users clip a coil off the indexing ball spring under the shell plate and keep the shell plate tight. Once the adjustments are final, the thing is flawless. The model I have, works for .45, .38super, 9mm and all diameters in between. The dealer sells these collating trays that speed up the loading of the plexi tube that holds the bullets. I bought a bunch of that tubing locally, and pre collate hundreds of bullets.

The only dealer I know of is: Emidio Gaspari at Gaspari and Assoc. 847-295 5998

Edited by Flexmoney

What lkytx said.

Even after reading a couple nicely written defenses, I think you're nuts to load on a 650 without a casefeeder. :rolleyes:

The slightly faster speed of a 650 without a casefeeder compared to a 550 is only attributable to the time it takes to load a tube full of cases, compared to the cumulative time it takes to let go of the handle and manually insert the same number of cases on a 550. I know that probably didn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'm too tired to re-type it. ;)

Put differently, auto-indexing only adds a degree of complexity to the 650 without offering any increase in speed - if the machine does not have a casefeeder. Because, while your right hand is cycling the handle your left hand grabs a new bullet and is waiting by the shellplate. Then as soon as you seat the primer - as your right hand lets go of the handle to get a new case, your left hand indexes the shellplate and installs the bullet on the next (charged) case BEFORE your right hand can insert a new case in the shellplate.

The Powder check option for the 650 does add a certain piece of mind, but it shouldn't replace attentiveness.

For the 550, get a small, dentist's or mechanic's mirror, the kind with the universal joint between the mirror and the handle. Then tape the mirror to the press's frame, so you can adjust the mirror to see down into the case just before you seat the bullet. With a little practice, that will become "one place you look," each time you load a round.

Considering expense, the number of calibers and the amount of times you plan to switch calibers each month, the 550 would be hard to beat.

From my experience in guiding prospective Dillon buyers each day, one of the toughest things to overcome is the hard time you'll get from your "snooty 650-owning buddies" if you buy a 550.

;)

The 550 is truly a great machine, and unless you plan to load 2000-3000 rounds/month in a single caliber, is the machine to buy.

And please call if you want to continue this discussion...

be

• 7 years later...

I can defnitely manually index my 550 just as fast as the 650 indexes automatically,but the speed comes in with the case feeder.

You realize you're digging up a bunch of threads from 5+ years ago, right?