Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Georgia State Shotgun Challenge (Pan Am Warm up!)

Creekside Firing Range has been gracious enough to host a Pan American warm-up match the week before the actual event. We decided to model this one day match after what we saw at the High Plains Shotgun Challenge earlier this year (although we know we cannot compare to the likes of Kurt and Trapr, we are going to try anyway, hence the name). The match rules will run akin to IPSC shotgun rules and will include at least one stage with buckshot and one with slugs. Round count to be posted here toward the end of the week.

The match will consist of 7-8 stages with design contributions from Rob Romero, Joe Satterfield and myself. Again, the goal being to help shooters prep for what they may see at the Pan Am the following week.

Registration is at 9:15 AM

Start time is 10 AM sharp. Match should be finished around 4 in the afternoon if not sooner.

3 Divisions will be recognized, Open, Standard and Standard Manual.

Cost will be 30 dollars per shooter.

Creekside has recently purchased quite a bit of steel so this should make for easy reset and some great stages.

For directions to the range please visit

www.creeksidefiringrange.com

Note: the creekside schedule of events states that on the 24th of July there is another event, that is incorrect and will be updated shortly to reflect the Ga State Shotgun Challenge aka the Pan Am warm-up.

Edited by cold

Stage break down with round count

1st stage: 8 birdshot / 8 slug ( 8 clays/ 8 paper)

2nd stage 24 rounds birdshot (24 steel & clays )

3rd Stage 12 slugs (Joe Satterfield Special)

4th Stage 12 rounds birdshot

5th Stage 4 rounds buckshot & 5 rounds birdshot ( paper and texas star )

6th Stage 19 rounds birdshot

7th Stage 11 rounds birdshot

Total Round Count

Birdshot: 88

Slugs: 20

Buckshot: 4

The whole range is going to be dedicated to this match, should be a great primer for the Pan Am the following weekend.

Guys, curious to if any of you were planning on attending this match?

I plan on shutting down the range to the public that day so we can run all the stages without having to reset any of them.

If we have enough people, I would like to have cash prizes for the top finishers.

Joe

Even if you are not going to the Pan-Am this will be a match worth attending. The shooting challenges here will be different than those you usually see in a shotgun match in the US. I expect that while loading will still be important using the shotgun as a more accurate and precise problem solver than normal will be a lot of fun. Stages are a mix of High Plains type stages, Area Six shotgun only stages, and deviousness straight from the Noveske shooting team. If it ain't worth $30, I'll be very surprised...

Creekside Firing Range has been gracious enough to host a Pan American warm-up match

Just how "warm" can it get? My underwear melted to my cheeks this weekend......

Guys, curious to if any of you were planning on attending this match? I plan on shutting down the range to the public that day so we can run all the stages without having to reset any of them.

Joe

Cheryl and I are planning on making the run up. Will stages be set and available to "anal-lize" on Friday afternoon? We'd be willing to tote a few boards to get in the gate. michael

Springy, Sorry for the delay. I just saw this. Stages will be constructed Friday afternoon with finishing touches on Saturday morning before the match. I wouldn't worry about getting in on Friday to look them over since there is not any trickery involved. Most every stage is a pure test of shooting ability designed to test a wide variety of shotgun skills. This is not going to be your usual blast a bunch of targets while reloading real fast shotgun match. Think sound fundamentals and precision with the shotgun using slugs, buck, and bird. There will be no shoots in abundance...Joe

This is not going to be your usual blast a bunch of targets while reloading real fast shotgun match.

Not even one stage of "fun"????

Well, I guess I'll just bring the old Winchester pump if it's going to be that slow.........

It's 350 miles to the range for us, so we'll be there Friday afternoon, and again, we ain't afraid to tote a board or two.

michael

I wouldn't think in the terms of slow. The stages are actually being designed by four different people. Who all shoot pretty fast. My 15 year old daughter is designing one stage. You know her Springy, she has a good imagination and likes to shoot fast.

We are working on updating the website(creeksidefiringrange.com) for this match.

Check in time will be no later than 9:30 at the range shack. Briefing will be at 9:40 and we will go hot at 10:00 sharp.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact the range at 678-757-1895/ or my phone 770-634-2144.

Hope to see you guys there.

This was a darn good 1st Annual Georgia State Shotgun Championship. Met some really good folks and picked up a bunch of super good information. Cheryl and I are really looking forward to the 2nd Annual Championship, in maybe 40 degree cooler weather???

Joe Satterfield, I missed 1 clay and forgot to load an extra round on the prone port.....and I can't believe you beat up on an old Super Senior just because of those 2 little, tiny, miniscule fkups!! Good win, Dude!! Hope to spend a little time around you at the PanAm next week.

Joe Harris, many thanks for all your efforts to support our sport, especially for putting on this match.

And all the rest of you match shooters, it's always a good day when we can spend it together enjoying our sport.

c-ya next time

michael

What a match, great time as always. I finished a little worse than what I would have liked to. Was really trying hard to beat HS101 since we were shooting together. I had a couple of mental errors and a couple of loading errors or I would have had him.

HS101, you gonna post the hat cam vids? A guy over on another forum wants to see them and the course layout if you dont mind posting them.

Unfortunately my aim on the hatcam was wwwaaayyy off. I got awesome videos of my Nordic charging handle / bolt cycling. As soon as I got my cheekweld, the angle of the video camera went all to hell... Luckily, my aim with my shotty was better...

I'll go back and see if I have some shots of the layout.

Here are the scores, I got them from the score keeper and got rid of everyones last names but left their initial.

I hope it works, and I think I got all the stages labeled correctly, I know 1 thru 4 are labeled right, I THINK I got 5,6,7 right.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnOr6txgIJYLdDdjLWZwM3k4c0llUF9ZTXBKMGpNQkE&hl=en

Here are the scores, I got them from the score keeper and got rid of everyones last names but left their initial.

Thanks for getting the scores out there for us to anal-ize.

And, after anal-izing my scores, it looks like my choice to save my Federal Flight Control shells for the PanAm really hurt me in this match............ :roflol::roflol::roflol:

what hurt me was forgetting to burn a birdshot in the little pit on the slugs/bird stage .... I KNEW I only needed to load 4 bird for the second array since I already had one in the chamber, but dummass me loaded tube to max, shot one of the targets with bird and forgot to go back and put a slug on it. And I loaded the buckshot stage wrong, had to go back and shoot the buckshot at the end instead of in the middle like it should have been.