Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AUTOCOMP LOAD 9mm MAJOR 147gr

sweetback

for Autocomp 9mm Major using 124/125gr MG JHP, the info i have is 7.2gr to 7.4, that should give you 167-174PF. again, this info is 'use at your own risk'. personally i haven't tried it, i loaded some yesterday but i haven't tested it. have to wait for the weekend to chrono it.

edit: this is for 1.165" OAL.

Edited by Torogi

The simplest formula for opens gun: Lighter bullets + more powder = better working comp.

Now, you still need to figure out what works best with your gun/barrel/comp combination.

Most opens shooters are using between 115-125gr bullets. What you want is to get the comp

working such that the recoil is directly back with a little flip as possible.

Get some 124gr bullets and compare them to 147gr loads, you will feel the difference immediately.

Keep the OAL under 1.15 (limited due to the mags).

you can get on line load data from Hogdon powder. Just do a search for Hogdon load data on the net = I was looking just last night ,lots of load data that makes major

AlamoShooter i've checked hogdon none of the loads for 147gr get anywhere near 1123 fps required for maj. the highest is 916 fps.

for Autocomp 9mm Major using 124/125gr MG JHP, the info i have is 7.2gr to 7.4, that should give you 167-174PF. again, this info is 'use at your own risk'. personally i haven't tried it, i loaded some yesterday but i haven't tested it. have to wait for the weekend to chrono it.

edit: this is for 1.165" OAL.

Torogi the 124gr load i shoot sunday was 7.0 gr of autocomp didn't chrono it or blow gun up. It felt good and everybody said it shot flat. The primers looked good to. Thank you.

The simplest formula for opens gun: Lighter bullets + more powder = better working comp.

Now, you still need to figure out what works best with your gun/barrel/comp combination.

Most opens shooters are using between 115-125gr bullets. What you want is to get the comp

working such that the recoil is directly back with a little flip as possible.

Get some 124gr bullets and compare them to 147gr loads, you will feel the difference immediately.

Keep the OAL under 1.15 (limited due to the mags).

[/quote

matt2ace i am using SJC 11 port comp this load is for something other than IPSC. I need a load that doesn't have as much blast as 124/125gr major load. A heavier bullet is softer shooting out of this comp. Not as flat as 124/125gr. but close enough. I just need a load using Autocomp that somebody else is using.

Torogi the 124gr load i shoot sunday was 7.0 gr of autocomp didn't chrono it or blow gun up. It felt good and everybody said it shot flat. The primers looked good to. Thank you.

one shooter told me 7.4gr would be good enough and leaves good cushion for the what ifs and not get minor on major match. 7.2gr for local match but i want to shoot one load. ill post my info probably on that 9mm Maj thread once i get my chrono results.

one shooter told me 7.4gr would be good enough and leaves good cushion for the what ifs and not get minor on major match. 7.2gr for local match but i want to shoot one load. ill post my info probably on that 9mm Maj thread once i get my chrono results.

The amount of powder is relative to your gun only. I load 8.2gr to make a 172PF in my open gun with a 124MG CMJ. A friend of mine loads 7.1gr to make the same velocity. Pretty big difference in powder for the same velocity.

you can get on line load data from Hogdon powder. Just do a search for Hogdon load data on the net = I was looking just last night ,lots of load data that makes major

AlamoShooter I've checked hogdon none of the loads for 147gr get anywhere near 1123 fps required for maj. the highest is 916 fps.

yes But most of us use the data as a start load and push up from that . you can punch in the 147 bullet and it will give you a list the (hog, Longshot) is the closest at 1019 you could start with that and -Push- it may take just a 5% increase with the compressed load to get you over Major.

I like to double check things to prov-en data and do the math on how much over Max I am going.

If you looked hard you may find every load listed is with Small Pistol primers , and most of us use small rifle primers to keep the primer from flowing .

I shot my Steel Challenge gun in USPSA when I started and shot minor loads. = I just did not want to punish my light gun with hot loads.

I dont shoot 9mm so its easy to fit powder in a 38 super

I shoot a SJC glock 17 9mm major and I just hit 175 PF at area 5 with 7 grains of auto comp with a MT 124 round nose and also use JHP, I wouldn't personally shoot a 147 gr bullet, 7 grains of auto comp doesn't make you flinch like some open guns, I love this load and it is very easy to load. My OAL is 1.145 i use federal primers with no issues.

AlamoShooter I've checked hogdon none of the loads for 147gr get anywhere near 1123 fps required for maj. the highest is 916 fps.

yes But most of us use the data as a start load and push up from that . you can punch in the 147 bullet and it will give you a list the (hog, Longshot) is the closest at 1019 you could start with that and -Push- it may take just a 5% increase with the compressed load to get you over Major.

I like to double check things to prov-en data and do the math on how much over Max I am going.

If you looked hard you may find every load listed is with Small Pistol primers , and most of us use small rifle primers to keep the primer from flowing .

I shot my Steel Challenge gun in USPSA when I started and shot minor loads. = I just did not want to punish my light gun with hot loads.

I dont shoot 9mm so its easy to fit powder in a 38 super

Thank you Alamoshooter i will take your advice and start to work the HOGDON load up 5%.

Thank you gentlemen end of inquiry.

• 1 year later...

I need a 9 major load using AUTOCOMP powder with 147gr MG/CMJ OR ZERO/JHP.

Also O.A.L. I am using (SJC) 9 major G17.

Any info appreciated.

At this point I'm new to reloading and here to learn but is it possible that 147gr. is too heavy for autocomp?

Since the bullet is heavy you will get high compression at lower speeds than with lighter bullets.

The reason I ask this is because I think even the Winchester Rangers aren't that fast in 147 gr.

I thought 147gr. was for highly supressed guns.

Thanks for any information.

I need a 9 major load using AUTOCOMP powder with 147gr MG/CMJ OR ZERO/JHP.

Also O.A.L. I am using (SJC) 9 major G17.

Any info appreciated.

At this point I'm new to reloading and here to learn but is it possible that 147gr. is too heavy for autocomp?

Since the bullet is heavy you will get high compression at lower speeds than with lighter bullets.

The reason I ask this is because I think even the Winchester Rangers aren't that fast in 147 gr.

I thought 147gr. was for highly supressed guns.

Thanks for any information.

I shoot mostly Silhouette with 124gr MTG in 9 major. I have entertained the thought of the 147gr in 9 major but not acted upon it, this after my smith expiermented with BlueDot and 147gr bullets in 38 Super and found them very soft shooting. I don't think that AutoComp is slow enough, hogodon almost hits major with LongShot but I think its a poor powder choice. Check Vitvouri, they list a load with 3n38 with 147gr Hornady XTP that makes major 3N38 6.3 gr 1171 fps, 6.9 gr 1207 fps at least with a published load you won't go kaboom.

AutoComp makes a good load with 124gr MTG CMJ at 7.0gr @ 1.165 about 172pf out of my gun.

If you try it let us know how it works.

Edited by CocoBolo