Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tractor repair

boz1911

I own a 71 Ford 4000 deisel tractor that I need for upkeep on 17 acres of land. Two weeks ago, I was bushogging and I could tell the tractor wasn't running just right. The engine on this old girl runs on fuel and compression only, no glow plugs, computers, or new fangled crap. By loosening the injector fittings I could tell cylinder number one(only has 3) wasn't firing and raw fuel was coming out the tailpipe. I assumed since fuel was present that perhaps I had blown a head gasket, bent a valve or something to cause a loss of compression. I pulled the head and could not locate any reason for a loss of compression.

After putting everything back together she still skipped on cylinder number one. I was bummed and started looking at new tractors which I really could not afford at the moment. I began to wonder though if she was getting too much fuel on that cylinder?? Didn't really make sense since all it needs to run is fuel and compression, but I decided to switch injectors with cylinder number 2. Presto the skip went with the injector and moved to number two. I ordered a 52 dollar injector and she should be as good to go when installed. Saved myself 15K.

I know you think this doesn't have crap to do with shooting but you're wrong. I am in a far better frame of mind this morning leaving to go shoot the Cool Springs match knowing my old tractor is going to be fixed in a few days.

Well you are not the only one with a tractor. I saved a few buck here and there on mine as well. I had a Satoh with front end loader with a bad clutch, I could have ordered one for about $1000.00 waited 6 months for it and paid the shop another $1000 to remove the loader and break it in half (tractor). Instead I went to the local break and clutch place and had them rebuild the disc and pressure plate for $125.00, broke it in half my self and worked perfect. A couple monhs later they had another one with a bad clutch I bought it for $500 put a clutch in it sold it on Ebay for $3200, bought an open gun.

That one sold so well I sold the other (Mitsubushi) aka Satoh and bought a larger Shabaru (another Jap tractor) with a Koerker Loader.

I also have 2 Kubota diesels.