Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

vent rib rail mount

gerritm

Any ideas on how to mount a red dot on my Winchester SX3 vent rib. There was a company, B-Square that made a cantilever style rail mount that looked perfect, but my rib is over 3/8 wide, about 1/4 inch, and it looks like they don't make that one anymore, just the one for 3/8 wide and under. We have a few local 3-guns shoots that allow a red dot in open class.

Look at the top of the receiver, there is probably a place where a dot mount could be attached by drill and tap. I prefer a dot closer to my eye on a shotgun as well, so receiver mounted fits for me. try to keep the dot as low as possible, rib height is perfect, but probably not practical. I use a Jpoint mounted on my Benelli M2 receiver. the mount is curved on the bottom to fit the lateral contour of the receiver.

FWIW, Open division means anything goes, including dots, ports, extra long mag tubes, and speed loaders! :cheers:

jj

Check out the Burris Speed dot mounts for shotguns!

I am not sure that I want it back that far, but they are interesting. I use an Aimpoint on my AR and a C-More on my open gun and like that focal distance for quick shots and acquiring the next target.

On the top of the receiver there is a 1/4" or so series of lines that run the length of the centerpoint from the stock to the rib. It is an aluminum receiver. Is that strong enough to drill and tap it? Using short screws that don't protrude into the chamber.

Check out the Burris Speed dot mounts for shotguns!

I am not sure that I want it back that far, but they are interesting. I use an Aimpoint on my AR and a C-More on my open gun and like that focal distance for quick shots and acquiring the next target.

On the top of the receiver there is a 1/4" or so series of lines that run the length of the centerpoint from the stock to the rib. It is an aluminum receiver. Is that strong enough to drill and tap it? Using short screws that don't protrude into the chamber.

actually the speed dot is in a perfect place...

I have seen Jpoint dots melded down into the top of the receiver on different shotguns. not sure about the vent rib extension on the receiver of a SX, maybe seek out a good shotgun gunsmith??? Benny???

jj

I do like how the speed dot looks but I am worried about the accuracy with slugs since the barrel is a slip fit in the receiver.

Maybe somebody can comment on how well the speed dot holds zero?

I took a pc of rail and milled a slot in it to match the rib then drilled/tapped the rib like others have stated.

Nick

I do like how the speed dot looks but I am worried about the accuracy with slugs since the barrel is a slip fit in the receiver.

Maybe somebody can comment on how well the speed dot holds zero?

I took a pc of rail and milled a slot in it to match the rib then drilled/tapped the rib like others have stated.

Nick

I've had a receiver mounted dot for a long time, never saw any zero changes. so what the barrel slips into the receiver? don't you think it goes into the same exact place every time??? Its such a tight fit, how could it not hold the same zero?

jj

Well the only thing I can say is that this is the exact type of mount Jerry uses on his open shotgun, and he doesn't seem to have any problem with zero. KurtM

bullshit, he uses "the force" and not some gimmickey electronic sight. its just on there for looks.

I am blind in my right eye and shoot left handed. The closer the red dot or sight is to my focal length the harder I have acquiring the next target. If I focus on the Burris up close I can't find the next target. Scopes don't work for me. I shoot an Aimpoint with a 5x magnifier on my AR and it works very well for me. I only use the magnifier past 50 yards. That is why if I start shooting open class I would like to mount it further down the receiver or on the rib. That is kind of my reasoning behind the rib or receiver mount. I have a fiber optic up front for now. Unfortunately I don't have the force with me although I do have a Miculek Comp on my AR.

Edited by gerritm