Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock shorty?

soaringf22

A lot of people are making shorty 1911/2011 for open more so seems for steel challenge. There also are a few glock open guys and gals. I havnt heard of anyone making a glock 19 into a steel challenge style gun but it is basically the same concept as a short 1911. The components are available to do it. So basically I'm curious if its been done, if not what's your opinion on not doing it. I have a glock 19 that doesn't get used so am tempted to play around but getting others opinions might save a couple bucks.

-Steve

A G17 likely already qualifies as a "shorty" open gun.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22504

you bring up a good point (im playing devils advocate) but there are still some who lighten the slide on a g17, and g22. dont the compensated g17 come with the top end opened to allow for the ports? not positive i never had a desire to look at ported g17s maybe till now. but technically that is slide lightening. putting a comp on a g19 will then bring the overall size to roughly an uncomped g17. i also brought this up because like i said i have a g19 that less than rarely gets used so maybe this would find its purpose in life.

-Steve

I ran this G22 for 4 years. You cannot get any shorter than this in an open Glock.

The slide eventually cracked at the recoil rod hole.

I am in the process of building an Open Glock using a 22 top end. But will be replacing the barrel with a KKM barrel and comp. That is one fine gun. I was thinking of milling a slot in the top of the slide just to subtract a few ounces.

thats one unique gun. do you think that having it lightened that much could have compromised the intergity causing the crack? being that i was focused on a steel challenge gun since building 9 major out of a 19 may be a little much, that already has less slide which is less weight. im assuming you used a 22 for the ease of making major, but in that case what kept you from using a glock 23?

Being a Glock guy, when I hear a lot of folks talking about lightening up their guns...and they tell me the weight...I always think to myself, "that's nice...but it's still not as light as a G17."

Of course, they likely pick up a Glock with a great trigger job and think, "that's nice, but it's still not a 1911 trigger job".

Are you wanting the gun light to make it transition between targets easier? Or, does it need to be lighter to run?

(My G34 with KKM barrel and comp will run Winchester white box ammo.)

Not that it needs to be lighter to run, function, or make target transition easier just because I want it a little lighter. I am still waiting on the rest of my parts before I finish putting my open gun together but once they show up I will assemble and weight. The only reason I am not building a 17 is because I don't want to push the gun to the limits to make the 9mm meet major power factor. Also I have everything to load for 40 S&W.

I'm just waiting on a comp that's backordered right now. I did some test load today with the threaded lone wolf G19 barrel. 7.4gr HS-6 with 130gr BBI @ 1.16 OAL.

1. 1238

2. 1230

3. 1244

4. 1257

5. 1242

6. 1242

So around 160ish pf. No pressure signs yet with fiocchi small rifle primers.

BTW, I guess glock barrels are faster. I shot some with my G17 and the velocity went up to 1270s, even though the G17 barrel is slightly shorter than the threaded Lone Wolf G19 barrel.

I'm just waiting on a comp that's backordered right now. I did some test load today with the threaded lone wolf G19 barrel. 7.4gr HS-6 with 130gr BBI @ 1.16 OAL.

1. 1238

2. 1230

3. 1244

4. 1257

5. 1242

6. 1242

So around 160ish pf. No pressure signs yet with fiocchi small rifle primers.

BTW, I guess glock barrels are faster. I shot some with my G17 and the velocity went up to 1270s, even though the G17 barrel is slightly shorter than the threaded Lone Wolf G19 barrel.

Those aren't to bad of numbers. I am just a little cautious about shooting such hot loads out of the polymer frame. According to your numbers the PF is 161.5 . I still might consider getting a 17 top end and building a 9 major open gun.

links in post #3 - short slide, short grip:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108511

fwiw i'd consider overall length to be possibly THE most meaningless stat for an open gun

with Ti comps, fat barrels, skinny barrels, heavy/light magwells, heavy/light grips, there are many ways to get the front-to-back and top-to-bottom balance that you want. and the balance that you want might not be the best shooting gun. but a nice balance & low overall weight are probably more important for steel than for uspsa.

Edited by eric nielsen