Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for Glock

Peter F.

Hey guys I am trying to get some opinions from anyone that is running an open Glock with a Carver mount as to what kind of holster they are using. I know if I go with a CR speed I will have to modify it so the mount will fit. What other viable options are out there? Thanks for any and all info.

If you decide to go with a CR Speed, do yourself a favor and buy the one that Bobby Carver has modified. I tried to go the cheap way and modify my own and it was a real pain in the tush. It took several hours of trial and error and a couple of Dremel sanding disks to get it to fit. I still get a 'spoing' sound when drawing.

The simplest method is to buy the one Bobby sells. For the work in it, the extra cost is pretty minimal. I will however add that I modded my own & it wasn't a problem for me. Maybe that is because Bobby used to live here in town & I've seen how he had his modified. Plus, I have an oscillating spindle sander that keeps things nice & straight up & down so no dremel has touched my CR speed holster. The holster is still fully capable of holding a conventional pistol without the carver mount on it so it isn't "dedicated" to the open gun.

About the Ghost holster. The old ghost holster was a solid body part. You could grind & shape it to work with the Carver mount but several years ago, they went to a hollow body part. You can, in theory, make it work but you have to grind open the body, fill it with some type of bondo or other filler, then shape it to work. Almost like building your own holster. WAY more trouble than it is worth. The old ghost was the holster Bobby was using at first when he came out with the mount but after they went to the hollow bodies, he had to find something else.

The Carver mount is a great tool, very solid piece. I hope you enjoy yours!

MLM

If you decide to go with a CR Speed, do yourself a favor and buy the one that Bobby Carver has modified. I tried to go the cheap way and modify my own and it was a real pain in the tush. It took several hours of trial and error and a couple of Dremel sanding disks to get it to fit. I still get a 'spoing' sound when drawing.

I will agree with this in some parts. It did take a couple of hours to mod mine.

LPatterson, that sproing sound may be the lock piece. The little part that prevents the gun from falling forward but allows it to be drawn straight up. Mine did that or a similar sound. I bought one of the Arredondo "low tension" replacements & the sound went away. The one from Arredondo is purple colored, by the way, but at least it is a very small purple piece. hahaha.

MLM

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a modified CR speed on the way from one of our fellow members. I can't wait to get it and the rest of my parts for my Glock and start running it.