Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A supportive former boss

Canuck223

I've been at my current site for 6 years, and as forman for 4. The area manager that was here when I arrived was only around for a year, but it was a heck of a year.

Our old forman was diagnosed with colon cancer, and was off for 7 months over the course of a year recovering from surgery and chemo. In that time, our area manager sent over a replacement worker, but he didn't assign a temporary forman. We managed just fine, keeping the place running and the paperwork up to date. When our forman was ready to return, company policy was to assign him modified duties at a larger job site under supervision. We advocated strongly with the area manager that we could cope with him on site even with his limitations. The area manager and his boss discussed it, and agreed to the plan.

I used the area manager as a reference when I tried for and got the formans job when the old one retired (healthy).

Since then, I haven't seen him much. He was transfered to another area 5 years ago.

Yesterday i e-mailed to ask if I could use him as my third reference for the formans job at his old site. Not only did he agree to acting as a reference, but he offered to drop by and coach me on some of the finer points that I'll need to know for that interview.