Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA Match

bkeeler

Well I shot my first USPSA match this weekend.

I have a background in IDPA. I have to say I think I like USPSA better not puting down IDPA but I had more fun shooting USPSA. (more shooting thats for sure). I shot in limited 10 finished 1st in my class 7th overall. I think I could have done better trying to get used to all the mag changes and not going to slide lock oooopppsss.

After only shooting 1 match I am hooked. Working on getting a new blaster (SVI) to shoot in limited. Just wanted to view my opinion. (now that I have shot both USPSA & IDPA.) Still do not understand the scoring though.

bk

Quote: from bkeeler on 7:37 am on June 20, 2002

After only shooting 1 match I am hooked. Working on getting a new blaster (SVI) to shoot in limited.

bk

...yeah it kinda has that affect...once you shoot IPSC, it grabs hold of you and won't let go!

My advice is stick with Limited 10 for a while and get a feel for the game there.  Limited 10 is just as competitive as Limited (at least here in the PNW it is....Travis even shot Limited 10 over the weekend).

A couple other advantages of Limited 10; (1) the cost outlay isn't as high as Limited, (2) you get to work on your math skills counting to 10 (don't have to worry about those silly number like 11, 12, 13 or anything higher!) (3) your shooting skills will probably be better because you don't have the abundant supply of bullets to throw at a target (4) you'll learn to analyze stages better (see 2 & 3).

I started playing in Limited with a Single Stack back in 1998 and when the created the Limited 10 division, I just moved over there.  I have no intention of going to Limited because I'm having too much fun in Limited 10 and I actually like the different "challenges" that Limited 10 presents...and mag relaods are FUN!

bkeeler, USPSA scoring is simple and doesn't change from when you are a newbie to when you are a GrandMaster: Shoot A hits as fast as you can, with a small allowable margin for C hit mistakes. There is nothing else to understand.

Steven, actually, L10 is more expensive than

Limited. You need more magazines and more holders, and you may need more labor in tuning them. A 10-round S_I mag is almost as expensive as a full capacity mag. Everything else (gun, holster) is the same. Don't promote the myth that L10 is a single stack .45 division.

Quote: from Erik Warren on 10:26 am on June 20, 2002

Steven, actually, L10 is
more
expensive than

Limited. You need more magazines and more holders, and you may need more labor in tuning them. A 10-round S_I mag is almost as expensive as a full capacity mag. Everything else (gun, holster) is the same. Don't promote the myth that L10 is a single stack .45 division.

...not around here it isn't.  Single Stacks rule in L10 and I don't believe the myth that to be competitive you have to have a "Limited" gun to compete in L10....TGO proved that at  AREA 1 this year.  

Regarding magazines....I'm using 5 CMC Shooting Star mags for L10 and paid $17 ea for them...total cost = $85 (yes I've got 5 mag holders at about $22/ea). So how much is a single mag for your gun again? My mags didn't require any "tuning"

My guess is he's already got a Single Stack gun (since he's shooting IDPA)...so my philosophy is USE IT!

• 2 weeks later...

BKeeler

Welcome to uspsa/ipsc. I am glad to hear that you liked it.

as I am sure you now know it is a very addicting and energizing sport.  I remember my first match and the butterflies that I had. I still get them from time to time.

You do not have to run out and get a new toy though. I started out with a 9mm Browning HighPower and 5  10 round mags. I used that for a few months and then started having a Para built for me (my first major CC purchase and I have had a balance ever since :( )

Again, welcome aboard and I hope you stay awhile.

Brian

Can't speak for anywhere else, but at least in Washington state Lim-10 definitely IS a singlestack .45 division. Just about the only time we see anyone shooting a doublestack/any other caliber in Lim-10 is when a Limited .40 shooter wants to play around in Lim-10 but doesn't want to buy a new gun to do it. We do get the occasional guy who has to have a singlestack .40 1911 for Lim-10 but that's very rare.