Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is 4.5-5 grains of w231 or hp38 under a 125 lead to much?

trusm0ka

i have the net, the net has most manuals. i think its too much. but i dont know if .4 of a grain is that much. lol but it cant hurt to ask before i pull em. it say 3.9-4.4 with lead.

Edited by trusm0ka

4.4 grains of 231 with a 125 lead at 1.130 gave me 1070 fps for a power factor of 136, that was out of an EAA 5" limited gun. If they are loaded longer they should be ok, if they are shorter you need to pull them and dump the powder.

i have the net, the net has most manuals. i think its too much. but i dont know if .4 of a grain is that much. lol but it cant hurt to ask before i pull em. it say 3.9-4.4 with lead.

Let me start by saying I am not trying to be argumentative or a jerk.

The net does not have manuals. The net has some data. You NEED a good reloading manual and you need to read it. Not just the data, the manual itself. There is valuable information that could save your gun, your hands, maybe even your life.

Reloading is nothing to "lol" about. :blush:

The average of the data I have on hand shows 4.4gr as the max charge of W231 for a 125gr lead bullet. You say yours are loaded 4.5-5gr? Why did you start above the max charge? My 125gr lead load is 4.2gr of W231, FWIW.

Pull those rounds. Read a good manual. Please.

Reloading is very detail oriented process. A true answer to your question would start with what caliber are you reloading and what is the oal. The answer for 38 Super is different than 9 mm.

Assuming that you are loading 9 mm at an oal of 1.120 or longer 4.5gr W231 is probably not dangerous in a +P rated gun. The only way to know if 5.0 is dangerous without risking blowing something up is to start at a lower charge and test it then work up .1gr at a time looking at the primers each time for pressure signs.

Please note the use of word probably this is an opinion and nothing more based upon relative expierence with guns and brass that may be different from yours.

Always start below the max and work up checking for pressure signs.

I shoot Major 9 in Open, that is 10gr of AA#7 with a 125gr bullet. I dropped a round on a stage and a Newb picked it up and shot it in his prodcution gun. He got what we use to call Super Face some particles of stuff at high velocity in his face, but the real damage was the brown stuff in his pants.

Bottom line is to load some up below the max then move up testing. If testing turns out they are safe then you can shoot them. I had to unload 500 rounds one time, it wasn't a fun day.

THANK U'ALL 4 UR HELP.I think i'll just put these rounds away, and figure out what do do later. Some people say there fine otheres say u pushing it. I'll make some new rounds @ 4 gr hp-38- 125lead - oal 1.125. i shouldn't have any problems with that. thanks again.

Reloading is very detail oriented process. A true answer to your question would start with what caliber are you reloading and what is the oal. The answer for 38 Super is different than 9 mm.

Assuming that you are loading 9 mm at an oal of 1.120 or longer 4.5gr W231 is probably not dangerous in a +P rated gun. The only way to know if 5.0 is dangerous without risking blowing something up is to start at a lower charge and test it then work up .1gr at a time looking at the primers each time for pressure signs.

Please note the use of word probably this is an opinion and nothing more based upon relative expierence with guns and brass that may be different from yours.

Always start below the max and work up checking for pressure signs.

I shoot Major 9 in Open, that is 10gr of AA#7 with a 125gr bullet. I dropped a round on a stage and a Newb picked it up and shot it in his prodcution gun. He got what we use to call Super Face some particles of stuff at high velocity in his face, but the real damage was the brown stuff in his pants.

Bottom line is to load some up below the max then move up testing. If testing turns out they are safe then you can shoot them. I had to unload 500 rounds one time, it wasn't a fun day.

the scale on hand only goes in full grains, kinda messed that up. going to get a new one now so i know exactly what i have, to the 1/10 grain. I have read through a couple manuals but returned them to there owner. i will get a few.

Let me start by saying I am not trying to be argumentative or a jerk.

The net does not have manuals. The net has some data. You NEED a good reloading manual and you need to read it. Not just the data, the manual itself. There is valuable information that could save your gun, your hands, maybe even your life.

Reloading is nothing to "lol" about. :blush:

The average of the data I have on hand shows 4.4gr as the max charge of W231 for a 125gr lead bullet. You say yours are loaded 4.5-5gr? Why did you start above the max charge? My 125gr lead load is 4.2gr of W231, FWIW.

Pull those rounds. Read a good manual. Please.

Sounds like you have made a wise choice, to put those aside for now. On the Econo side MidWay Usa has the Frankford Aresnal Electronic on sale for $19.95 while you are there get a Lee Safety Scale for about $25.00. Then you will have two and you may check them against each other any time you have doubts. I use these two for years and do about 30K rounds a year with no problems.

I have several reloading manuals, they work good under my computer monitor. I usually look up loads at Hogdon or Lapaua or Accurate arms. Sometimes I get wild and crazy and use a load I find on Brian Enos, but I always do a sanity check on those against the MFG reloading tables.

The reason you have gotten some confusing answers is not all the facts were laid out, What guns are they being shot in, Hi Point? KelTec? SVI?. Its better to error on the side of caution than to say yeah shootum, then hear later the guy lost one eye and looks like a fugative from a horror flick.

Edited by CocoBolo

Its a taurus pt 24/7, it anit no hi- point, but it anit no 1911, eather. I think my 24/7 pro ds will handle 4.9 of hp-38, but i think i'll make a few lighter loads 4.0 grains 4.2 grains, and work my way up, before i go and shoot a 4.9gr load. I'm gonna go to wally world and office depot and see what they have 4 scales. anyone of u have that quickloads program that could run tthis load? thanjks again everyone

Its a taurus pt 24/7, it anit no hi- point, but it anit no 1911, eather. I think my 24/7 pro ds will handle 4.9 of hp-38, but i think i'll make a few lighter loads 4.0 grains 4.2 grains, and work my way up, before i go and shoot a 4.9gr load. I'm gonna go to wally world and office depot and see what they have 4 scales. anyone of u have that quickloads program that could run tthis load? thanjks again everyone

I doubt they would have a scale that measured in grains with a .1gr accuracy. www.midwayusa.com and brownells, cabelas will have what you need.

i see here in a min., u sure ur right, but the local reloading store said $55 for the cheapest beam and over $100 for digital..lol so i'm gonna look up there be 4 i order again from midway. is the hammer style puller gonna work for pulling 150 bullets? thanks

I doubt they would have a scale that measured in grains with a .1gr accuracy. www.midwayusa.com and brownells, cabelas will have what you need.

I pulled about 200 rounds with a hammer because I had a bunch of squibs. Better than blowing something up.

I use the $65 digital from Cabelas. Works for me, and well worth protecting my $500+ guns and un-replaceable body parts.

i see here in a min., u sure ur right, but the local reloading store said $55 for the cheapest beam and over $100 for digital..lol so i'm gonna look up there be 4 i order again from midway. is the hammer style puller gonna work for pulling 150 bullets? thanks

Will it work? aaa.......yea if it does not break or make you crazy :)

it will be slow soooooo good luck :)

B

well i got 100 of the 200 done.wit the hammer style. it took like 30 min. not too bad. spilled a lil powder, but now i took care of a headach!.. i'll probally same a couple of the longer OAL(1.135") ones, to try at a later time.just ordered a new scale on e-bay of 15$, shipped from the u.s.a. that does 1/10 grains. not im gonna go do some LEE slot .37, and .40 loads!. thanks u'all again 4 ur time and help

Will it work? aaa.......yea if it does not break or make you crazy :)

it will be slow soooooo good luck :)

B

Step 1: Stop.

Step 2: Read the book "ABC's of Reloading" cover to cover.

Step 3: Read the book "ABC's of Reloading" cover to cover.

Step 4: Buy at least two (2) loading manuals. I suggest Hodgdon and Lyman.

Step 5: Use the most conservative data and work up slowly until you either get desired results or achieve max load.

Step 6: When you find the "magic" load, buy components in bulk and load the daylights out of it. Oh yeah and shoot it too.

i m new, and overloaded and dont wanna shoot till i know whats good

The W-W 14th edition reloading manual lists the following for 114 gr. lead`cast conical in 9mm:

3.8 gr. W-231 = 1010 fps = 26900 psi

4.2 gr. W-231 = 1115 fps = 32500 psi MAX load.

According to this:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

4.8 of HP38 is max. And to answer your question, if your bullets are sized properly, lubed properly, cast of a good alloy and your chamber throats aren't too small, leading shouldn't be a problem at all. The max load is listed at 1071FPS. If conditions are right you can go a good bit faster than that and still not have leading problems, but you'll have to do it with a different powder...:D

According to this:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

4.8 of HP38 is max. And to answer your question, if your bullets are sized properly, lubed properly, cast of a good alloy and your chamber throats aren't too small, leading shouldn't be a problem at all. The max load is listed at 1071FPS. If conditions are right you can go a good bit faster than that and still not have leading problems, but you'll have to do it with a different powder...:D

well the i shot the 3.8 gr, 4.2 gr, and the 4.5 gr loads out of my taurus 24/7 got leading with all 3, what i think is leading anyway, took an extra 15 min of cleaning. Think it is the size of the lead that is causing the problem?