Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flaring G34 Mag-well Internally

BradGannaway

Someone showed me, months ago, that they had flared or done some polishing on the inside of the stock G34 magwell.

I'm trying to find out if anyone has some insight, pics, know how, or advice on how to go about this.

I know it can't be more than 1/4 inch more than stock, but a 1/4 inch may help a little in Production Div.

BSG

If you polish or BEVEL the inside of the Glock magwell, thats ok, within the .25 spec.... FLARING as I understand it, where you heat it up and make the external dimensions slightly larger, creating a kind of mild magwell, is an externally visible mod that is not legal in Production.

Grind away on the inside, but don't mess with the outside.

Yeah, looking at the pic on the website, very slick - would be legal for Lim, Lim-10, Open.... but it far exceeds the .25" allowed beveling in Production. Plus I'd argue its an external mod because I can see the back part of the funnel in the backstrap, clearly, even with a mag inserted. Unlike a Buttplug, which just caps it off back there (and is legal).

For Production, I'd just use a buttplug, and then dehorn the snot out of the inside area of the magwell, removing some of the "step"....

Edited by sfinney

I attached an email that Amidon produced prior to the most recent production rule change.

However, I don't think anyone has addressed it after the new production ruleset has been in place.

To counter Shaun, I would say it is no different than any of the buttplug's as it is just another piece of plastic filling the hole. If we allow one, why not another as long as their is no weight violation nor profile change to the exterior of the weapon. Food for thought.

Production Magwell.doc

I'd counter-counter :devil: by saying that the inside back edge of the frame mag channel has been chopped down to make a permanent exterior modification to the gun..... which is externally visible, not just internal beveling. You are making an external part of the gun that was not previously part of the magwell area a new part of the magwell opening.

Buttplugs don't change the dimensions of the magwell area, only fill the hole's existing dimensions in the backstrap - they don't enlarge the rear of the mag opening "by 50%" (right off the guy's website").

I guess the .25" restriction is for the "lateral" side to side dimensions only..... this funnel extends front to rear - but I'm sticking to my opinion that this is an external mod. Its clearly visible with a mag inserted. Thus a change to the exterior of the weapon has occured.

Edited by sfinney

Hey, I'm swimming up stream here, looks like you have a letter already saying its ok.

If Amidon or IPSC are going to allow it, it thats fine. Just like a long list of other stuff over the years, from buried Bo-mars, approved gun lists, Vanek triggers, altered XD mag releases, CZ "dehorned" trigger guards, Glock buttplugs, and now grip stippling and mag well beveling. Gotta hire a lawyer to keep up with what ok to run in Production, things change. Or don't.

Each to his own, bring it on I say. ;)

Shaun,

Make sure you understand the dates from that email...they were prior to the newest iteration of the Production Ruleset.

There are many who would say under the current ruleset it is illegal, and just as many who would say it is a legal mod.

I agree that on the whole it would be nice to have some stability in production rulesets or at least make it not the most "range lawyer" intensive division.

I don't have much of a dog in the fight as I rarely if ever shoot production. However, to be current someone who is interested in doing the mod should get in touch with Amidon before modding their gun. (it is easier than hell though)

Take care my friend. :cheers:

Edited by smokshwn

may help a little in Production Div.

So will practicing your reloads 40 times a day for a month :devil:

...couldn't resist.

DOH!!!!!

I know, I know, I know................................I'm trying to get every advantage I can.