Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 shellpates, will the .223 Rem plate work with 9mm?

I damaged my 9mm shellplate, and was thinking out loud, but can you use the .223 Rem shellplate instead?

I know guys shooting supercomp brass need to, but I wasn't sure if regular 9mm brass would fit withour headaches?

I don't load .380, or supercomp brass. Currently I'm just loading 9mm, but may load .223 Rem again in the future. If I could get away with it, I'd like to just buy the .223 Rem conversion kit for my 1050 and use the same shellplate for both.

Does 9x19 fit in the .223 Rem shellplate? I know 9mm is a #5 and .223 I believe is a #3, and they have specific plates for a reason, so I expect the answer is no.

I don't load .380, or supercomp brass. Currently I'm just loading 9mm, but may load .223 Rem again in the future. If I could get away with it, I'd like to just buy the .223 Rem conversion kit for my 1050 and use the same shellplate for both.

Does 9x19 fit in the .223 Rem shellplate? I know 9mm is a #5 and .223 I believe is a #3, and they have specific plates for a reason, so I expect the answer is no.

Yes, the answer is no. You will need the 223 Caliber Conversion Kit to load 223.

be

My life is pretty easy. When I wanted to load .223 on my 1050, I called Brian and he told me exactly what I needed and ordered for me. When my friend wanted to start loading, we called Brian and he was totally set up on his new 650. The cost of the shell plate is not that big of an investment to get it done right, especially on a .223.

Just wondering how you damaged the shell plate?

I had taken may machine down to bear bones to detail clean it, prior to running a batch of processed 9mm through to prime them. I was rebuilding the press, and wanted to check the primer slide and the timing of the primer plunger. I didn't bother installing the toolhead, and just flicked on my PW Autodrive. Unfortunately, I'd failed to notice the shellplate wasn't in the correct position, and without the toolhead, there was nothing to stop the PW from running a full cycle. The swager made contact with the edge of the shellplate, chipping it.