Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen4 G17/22 + "L" backstrap?

ck1

Picked up a Gen4 G17 mainly 'cause I really liked how the new grip felt in it's "SF" form (no backstrap installed) and have been shooting well with it over 1000rds...

Thing is, got curious and decided to play around with the backstraps for a minute (just to see how they attach and such), and found the gun with the "L" backstrap installed feels surprisingly good and it occured to me that like the thinner "SF" configuration is new on a G17, the configuration with the "L" installed is completely new also since a G17/22 isn't as fat as 10mm/.45's are; I never liked the feel of the G20/21/21SF's so I never really even thought of trying it.

Anyone try this?

I'm curious how this configuration may have worked out for any longtime 3rdGen G17/22 shooters...

I'm planning on shooting an IDPA match tomorrow, and I was planning on shooting the gun in "SF" form... but after dry-firing and drawing for a little while I'm starting to really dig all the real-estate I get for my support-hand and how the extra trigger-reach makes it pretty hard to get too much finger on the trigger with the "L" installed... seems counter-intuitive but I think it forces me into a better shooting form.

I dunno, going to try to hit an indoor range if I can tonight to check it out, or I might just go ahead and try it "cold" at the match anyhow...

Edited by ck1

I haven't tried one of the gen4 guns yet but have always liked my G20 for the reasons you state lots of room for support hand on the grip and harder to get to much finger on the trigger. after shooting the 20 I try to shoot my 22 and it feels like my strong hand is swallowing the whole grip. I say shoot the match with the L grip on and see how you like it.

Mike

i didnt make much of their new 'SF' frames till i got ahold of one, always wanted a G20, but have somewhat stubby hands and a fullsized grip was too much for me, got ahold of a G20SF and a G20 standard side by side and played with em, needless to say the G20SF is in my safe w/ a lil skateboard tape on it and new sites

saw a new Gen4 in .40 with the RTF grip literally rub the skin off ofthe owners palm during a 50 rd GSSF indoor match last month, think ill stick to my Gen 2's an 3's and jst add some skate tape

I think this is going to work better for me as I tend to shoot a lot better when I've got my support-hand and trigger press working right and even only in dry-fire thus far it seems to make it easier to keep those things in check, and perhaps even more important, consistently repeatable, which can sometimes be my achilles heel.

We'll see what the targets and timer say later... after handling the gun this way it's become clear that it's important to disassociate myself from just how good the gun feels in the hand long enough to really see what works better for me when the sights lift...

Edited by ck1

saw a new Gen4 in .40 with the RTF grip literally rub the skin off ofthe owners palm during a 50 rd GSSF indoor match last month, think ill stick to my Gen 2's an 3's and jst add some skate tape

Was it a Gen 4 or an RTF gun? The Gen 4's have a different texturing than the RTF's. They call them "polymids" and it isn't nearly as raspy as the RTF texture.

The RTF guns are hell on a polyester police uniform shirt, shredding it pretty quickly. The Gen 4 texturing was designed to avoid this.

150rds tonight, would've shot more except a small party of annoying post-teens who've never handled firearms before decided they'd like to spend their evening muzzle sweeping me over and over...

Verdict: Duuuddde! If it fits your hand it's worth trying for sure. I tried to stay pretty robotic and go through drills that would bear out whether or not this was working or if I was just BSing that it was better... Did 50 of 5-shot groups from 10yrds to 25yrds, 50 draw-to-2 and 3 shots at 7yrds, and 50 of kind of both types of things... All I can say is I didn't throw a really bad shot even once, out of 20 or so, I had 2 draw-to-headshots at 20yrds that I missed by less than an inch, the rest landed in a fist-size group dead center of the head (averaged about 2 seconds per shot according to my trusty iPhone shot timer). I was pretty happy with the results.

The whole time I was able to track my sights really easily and get the sights to steady themselves very quickly from the draw.

I'm going to shoot it like this at the match tomarrow ans see how it goes but think I'm sold... never would've thunk it.

Edited by ck1

Chip,

That sounds interesting if I get a chance I'd like to check that out tomorrow

Finally no freakin' monsoons in the forcast! I'll have to let you shoot it to see what you think, it's weird I picked up a G20 at the shop at the range... still didn't really like it, this feels different.

Edited by ck1

So shot my first IDPA match in kind of a while (2 month-old newborn here...) and changed many variables since my last one: new gun, new sights, etc.

Shot the Gen4 G17 with "L" backstrap installed, result: finished with "Most Accurate" with only 20 points down over 4 pretty tough stages, finished 7th overall amongst some very fine shooters (winner finished with 35 points down and won with quickness...).

I've never gotten the "Most Accurate" tag at a match before and there were some tuned STI's and Nighthawks and such in the field... the "L" is staying on the gun.