Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Landlords

EkuJustice

So they finally looked at my AC which has not worked all season(only took them about 6 weeks to get out) and the compressor is fried. Asked when it would be replaced so I can find someone to watch the apt since I work during their typical hrs. Got told they have a budget for these things and since they have other committments, I was told late JULY at the earliest but probibally mid august :angry2:

Gee thanks,you fix it after the majority of the summer has alaredy passed.

Rent reduction? If your plumbing wasn't working, or your roof was leaking, you'd have cause to demand it be fixed and in many locals, deduct rent to repair the matter yourself if required. If AC was included as a term of the lease, you may be able to negotiate.

Or just move. Considering the foreclosure market, I have to assume the rental market is getting flexible.

Rent reduction? If your plumbing wasn't working, or your roof was leaking, you'd have cause to demand it be fixed and in many locals, deduct rent to repair the matter yourself if required. If AC was included as a term of the lease, you may be able to negotiate.

Or just move. Considering the foreclosure market, I have to assume the rental market is getting flexible.

Simple, just start taking 100 bucks off the rent the next couple of months.

If the AC was part of the unit when you moved in they are in breach of contract. I suggest a call to the local rental experts and stop paying your rent or significantly reduce the amount.

Tell them (in writing) that they have 7 days to fix or you will issue a breach notice (or what ever you use up your way). As a landlord I find that kind of behaviour is unacceptable.

Depending on your state's laws and the lease, you may be able to fix it yourself, and deduct the cost from the rent. Alternately, you may be able to put rent in an escrow account until they fix the problem....

The local government may also control landlord-tenant interactions -- investigate....