Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

THANK YOU VETERANS

Sarge

A formal salute to all who who really have spent the time and did the work.

I've never served; grew up as a "Navy kid" -- Dad got the DD214, but that was NO reason for the military discipline to change: "toes on the line", "how high, Sir?", "tote that barge, lift that bale, move it!".

My gratitude and admiration to everyone who spent any part of his/her career in service of this country and its citizens.

Thank you.

For protecting and defending our unalienable rights, as well as, spreading freedom and liberty in my stead in far off lands I humbly say "Thank you" to those patriots and their families throughout our republic's history that paid the ultimate price in the giving of their lives.

Ft Sill, OK--Nov 72-March 73 FAOBC

Ft Benning, GA--March 73-April 73 Basic Airborne

1st Sp Forces Group, Okinawa--May 73-May 74

82nd Airborne, Ft Bragg--June 74-Dec 76

Ft Sill, OK--Jan 77-July 77 FAOAC

3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, FRG--Aug 77-Aug 80

XVIII Abn Corps and JFK SWC, Ft. Bragg Aug 80-Jan 85

Best years of my life.

On Memorial Day I got the shake the hand of a 90 year old Marine!

On Monday I had to fly to Philadelphia. When I got to the rental car place I noticed a Marine sticker on this older guy's briefcase. In line I asked him if he wa a Marine. He told me that he served 36 years in the Marines. He graduated high school in 1938, so he must have served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (along with other possibilities I don't know).

He was not moving well and walked with a cane. He forgot something and had to go back outside to get something from his daughter or grand-daughter that was with him. While he as out I asked the 3 people in front of me if they could let this Marine in front of them. The 35 year old bi*** at the front of the line said something about having to get somewhere. The 55 year old guy behind her told me he was also a veteran. I thanked him, but I guess he still didn't get it. The 50 year old guy in front of me was cool and did let him go before him. I just don't understand how some people can look at themselves in the mirror.

When I went outside I got to help him and his daughter load their luggage. He was telling his daughter about how thankful he was that I appreciated his service. When he came home and got out in the mid 70s he likely had a bad reception. I was very happy to be able to tell him and his daughter that it was because of him and others like him that I was able to enjoy the freedom I have had all my life.

It was a very emotional moment and I was glad to be able to give him my thanks.