Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second half of the reload.

RevolverJockey

I notice a lot of attention is paid to the different strong hand and weak hand reloads, but only up until the clip is in the cylinder.

It seems like after the last shot, I can open the cylinder, eject, obtain a fresh clip and load it faster than I can close the cylinder and acquire a proper grip and sight picture. This may or may not be true as there is no way to time both halves but that is how it feels. This also points to the fact that I have not found a sure way to get the cylinder closed 100% of the time.

Currently, I am reloading weak hand and after dropping in the clip, I am rolling the cylinder up along my left thumb as I am getting back into my shooting grip.

What do you do, and what works/doesn't work about this technique. Maybe we get a poll sometime in the future.

Lee

I reload without transfering hands, keeping the gun in my strong hand & loading with the weak. After doing the reload,as my weak hand comes back on the grip, my thumb closes the cylinder rolling up from underneath.

Cheers, Ando.

I strong hand reload, as the gun comes back into my Strong hand it's important to place it into the proper grip, I push the cylinder closed with my weak hand thumb pressing on the crane and use the thumb push to set my grip. I don't actually pause but it's the closing click that focuses my mind for the moment on proper grip.

Fast is good, fumble free is better, but miss the shot after your reload and you are screwed.

Boats

When I do a reload my weak hand is close to the cylinder when the rounds go in and the muzzle of the revo is closer to a 45 degree angle than straight up and down. The 90 degree angle is what I consider pointing at the targets. ,

After the rounds are released twist your weak hand in a sweeping motion over the open cylinder using the heel of your weak hand to shut the cylinder. As it sweeps the cylinder shut your weak hand is going back to your shooting grip. Finger in the trigger guard and as you come on target squeeze the trigger as you acquire the acceptable sight picture.

And as Boats so elequently puts it

Fast is good, fumble free is better, but miss the shot after your reload and you are screwed.

I hope it is helpful :sight: later rdd

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=104326927

edited to try to add vid

Edited by Bubber

Maybe if I just tried to add a link

Moonclip reload

What's the red stuff thats falling away? Speedloader for moonclips?

In technical terms that is "That little red dohicke" Speedstix Before the advent of Herthco clips most clips were pretty loose fitting. The Speedstick was designed to hold the rounds rigid, (very important when using the 38 specials). We would still grasp the moonclip not the speedstix. Much like the way we load with the speedloaders. I am more consistant using the speedstix but not enjoying my time looking for the dang thing so I got Hearthcos. later rdd

I would reload weak hand except, Playing at Revolvers like I do, load .45 acp moonclips Jetloaders in .38's and retro HKS speedloaders for several other revolvers J's through N Frame .45 LC. I am pretty sure it would be hard to weak hand load all those different types. I suspect if always shooting the same outfit could learn to hit it right and weak hand would be better.

Question though, at the top level, is there a consensus for strong or weak hand load. I understand Jerry stong hand loads, what about the other top shooters.

Boats

I would reload weak hand except, Playing at Revolvers like I do, load .45 acp moonclips Jetloaders in .38's and retro HKS speedloaders for several other revolvers J's through N Frame .45 LC. I am pretty sure it would be hard to weak hand load all those different types. I suspect if always shooting the same outfit could learn to hit it right and weak hand would be better.

Question though, at the top level, is there a consensus for strong or weak hand load. I understand Jerry stong hand loads, what about the other top shooters.

Boats

Well maube not a good consensus for top shooters, but aat the Area 4 in the squad I was in there were 2 doing the stronghand reload and 5 doing the weakhand. NOt sure what Elliot, Hop, and Annette were doing but I believe it was the stronghand reload. Hop can chime in as he would know. There have be a few converts from the stronghand to the weakhand reload. Just my take