Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EMP parts?

Hey guys!

I'm having a harder than you know what time finding which parts on my EMP are "redesigned."

Does anyone know if the thumb safety and mainspring housing are "standard" parts or SA proprietary parts? With the shorter frame I've gotta believe the thumb safety is different, but I'm thinking the MSH is the same as an officer's MSH?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by technetium-99m

Trigger, firing pin, slide stop, and mags would have to be, along with the frame, slide, and barrel, of course. Looks like 'cause it's a mini-gun the MSH and grip safety are, too. I'd guess the hammer, sear, disconnector, and thumb safety are standard parts. I'd also guess the spring guide/guide rod, spring, and spring plug would be, too (well, for Officer/mini-guns anyway).

The shortening of the action would likely be on the front end of the gun (think of it as everything forward of the midline of the grip when viewed from the side).

BTW, don't confuse thumb safety and grip safety. Grip safety's at the rear, thumb safety's on the side (or both sides as the EMP comes with an ambi, it looks like).

Should've included extractor, firing pin spring, mainspring, hammer strut, and the ILS parts in the MSH in the list, too.

Edited by diehli

And it occurs to me that the firing pin stop could be, too, if SA did away with the extra .05" to fit a .45 barrel in the slide. If that's the case, then the hammer could be, as well, and SA wouldn't be able to build one in .45 Glock.

Everything I have found states that the proprietary parts are as follows.

slide

frame

left grip panel

right grip panel

firing pin

firing pin spring

extractor

plunger tube

plunger spring

trigger

magazine tube

magazine follower

magazine spring

magazine base plate

magazine base pad

Nothing about any of the fire control components, thumb safety, or MSH.

I'm gonna see if a standard thumb safety fits as I've got a take off sitting here and report back.

And BTW, I love this little gun, I'd just love it more with a single sided thumb safety, no ILS, and maybe some checkering on the frontstrap.

so how do you like the gun ? I am debating between a Poly kahr 9mm, the EMP and the Sig 380 mustang recreation.

I have a 9mm EMP and have shot over 500 rounds. I did have some initial problems with proper extraction as the rounds would tend to "stove pipe" and therefore, compromising the reliability for a carry gun. I have a very good gun smith close by and he "reset" the extractor as it was way too loose. It was only in the shop for a couple of days and now it shoots just great. It is an extremely accurate auto. Cost was $65.00 to take care of the extractor. I'll probably go ahead and polish the ramp like I have done on my other autos. I have done this on many autos, and it is important to have the right equipment and know how to do it. I use a very fine diamond paste with conical buffing heads on a flex shaft. If you are unsure of the task have a gun smith do it for you.

I have had the same issue with a couple of other Springfields 1911's. I replace the extractor with a billet type and they worked fantastic after that. One is a match grade Springfield 1911 (translation: $$$$) and it has never had a misfire since I have replaced the extractor. Also an extremely accurate weapon.

Hope all of this helps

PeterT